Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kodak 8.5 in f6.3 Commercial Ektar?

Kodak 8.5 in f6.3 Commercial Ektar?

I see Kodak info that says my Kodak 8.5in f6.3 Commercial Ektar can cover a 5x7 format. I cannot find the image circle specs to see if there is much movement beyond that format. I have only used on 4x5 and it is a wonderful lens, but I may be selling it to a guy shooting 5x7. Thanks!

Re: Kodak 8.5 in f6.3 Commercial Ektar?

Jimbo, the list contains a link to the best source of information on Ektar lenses in the known universe. Go there.

The best source ... quotes EKCo data sheets which give, IIRC, Commercial Ektars' recommended formats and angular coverage on those formats. They don't give image circles. When in doubt, use the f/6.3 Tessar rule of thumb. 60 degrees.

Thanks Dan, but what list are you referring to?

Quote Originally Posted by JimboWalker View Post
    Thanks Dan, but what list are you referring to?
    There's a link to it in the first post in this discussion. It is a pdf with bookmarks that serve as an index. They don't work in on-line pdf readers, download it.

Quote Originally Posted by JimboWalker View Post
    I see Kodak info that says my Kodak 8.5in f6.3 Commercial Ektar can cover a 5x7 format. I cannot find the image circle specs to see if there is much movement beyond that format.
    How difficult is it to try the lens for yourself to see how much movement there is??

Quote Originally Posted by Pfsor View Post
    How difficult is it to try the lens for yourself to see how much movement there is??
    It could be very difficult if you don't have a 5x7 camera

Quote Originally Posted by Sanford View Post
    It could be very difficult if you don't have a 5x7 camera
    Really? What about having a piece of white paper and focus an infinity scene at it? Very difficult?

8-1/2" Commercial Ektar has been one of the "normal" lenses in barrel on the 5x7 Sinar for decades. Image circle is more than good enough for 5x7 with more than good enough camera movements under the majority of image making conditions.

https://www.pacificrimcamera.com/rl/00346/00346.pdf

Excellent if the specific example is in GOOD optical condition, the Kodak-Ilex or Kodak-Acme shutter might need work. In barrel using a Sinar or similar shutter, not an issue. If the lens is to be tested, it should be done using film under a wide variety of image making conditions or tested using optical specific instrumentation.

Bernice

Image circle observed as projected in a sheet of white paper will not behave in the same way as that same image circle projected on film. Film does not respond to light in the same way as the human eye.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Pfsor View Post
    Really? What about having a piece of white paper and focus an infinity scene at it? Very difficult?