Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Technika lensboard to Chinese copy comparison

Joel Edmondson

Re: Technika lensboard to Chinese copy comparison

Makes me feel like I need to apologize to Greg for having provided him with a thirty-something year old board to compare.

Joel

I'm sure some of us could do destructive testing with Brinell hardness tester and a MTS machine.

I used both for decades.

Perhaps i should withdraw my suggestion to crack 1 or 10 in half like a cookie.

However if I ever break any lens board in actual photography usage I will report.

My apologies to OP, Greg Davis.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I'm sure some of us could do destructive testing with Brinell hardness tester and a MTS machine.

I used both for decades.

Perhaps i should withdraw my suggestion to crack 1 or 10 in half like a cookie.
    And what would the hardness value tell you about the braking point of the lens board??

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    Jac, this was the past. Today this is different, they are to lead the 5G global networking, not a joke.
    5G is a technology designed by the Chinese, the Deep State Silicon Valley billionaires, and transdimensional aliens to control our minds. It's true. I heard it from Alex Jones, so it must be completely true and accurate.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    ...Chinese copy products almost always suffer when their quality is compared to that from which they were copied. Reality sucks, but it's real...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike in NY View Post
    ...In this case, no, and no.

The video demonstrated that one of the Chinese versions was a very serviceable lens board worth being used. Did you not view the video, or if you did, did you miss that part?...
    In this case, yes, not no. "Lower quality" does not mean the opposite of "very serviceable" in a given application. "Almost always" is not incompatible with "here's one out of a small sample (two) that appears to be good quality." Did you not read the specific words I wrote and, if you did, did you miss that those differences?

...Ergo, if someone were to purchase that Chinese made lens board at ~7% of the original manufacturer's asking price, it wouldn't be for a lens board of such lower quality as to make a material difference to their photography...
    An unfounded claim directly contradicted by Greg's video. One of the two Chinese lens boards he reviewed was shown to have sufficient dimensional nonconformity to make placement imprecise and loose.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    ...I don't have a single Linhof-branded Technika-type lensboard among the dozens in my equipment cases. All of them, most purchased new several decades ago, are either Wista or ones made by Mike Walker. None of them use aluminum of lower quality than Linhof-branded boards.
    ...no one has performed a test of the metal alloys used in any of the boards shown versus user requirements, so there is no empirical evidence to back up your claim that it's inferior, at least to the point of not being fit for purpose...
    No one has mounted a very heavy lens in the Chinese board that Greg doesn't recommend. I wouldn't. The fact is that Chinese metallurgical deficiencies are well known in many fields. Ask a plumber about the "black iron" pipe available at big box stores. As a Boeing engineer, I was shocked to have been selected to sit on a federal jury hearing the case of a defendant charged with 12 felony counts of selling counterfeit aircraft parts. After that experience, I take LULAND's claim of using aircraft-grade aluminum with a grain of salt.

...And how many large format cameras of relatively high quality are our members buying from China right now? Many...
    In my personal experience with said large format cameras, their quality isn't as high as that of the U.S. and Japanese versions they're copies of. I've never handled Linhof cameras, so can't compare the Chinese products to those.

...What sucks is whenever there is a lack of transparency in free markets that prevent people from making purchasing decisions based on more information and their own purchasing criteria, whether it be price alone, or a desire to support traditional LF manufacturers, or to buy domestic whenever possible, or any other criteria they may have...
    "Lack of transparency?" What's opaque? Greg posted his video. We watched it. People made comments. Whose comments are suppressed? Whose are derided? Why?

Quote Originally Posted by faberryman View Post
    I don't have any Linhof branded lens boards. I don't know where my unmarked lens boards came from but they all seem to work fine. Nobody has asked me what brand lens board I use when viewing my work, though I will occasionally get a question about my camera and lens.
    This.
    The only Linhof boards I own are second-hand ones that came along with a lens or camera. The Shen-Hao copies I have work great. As I've said multiple times before, the only "bad" board I have is a Wista "copy."

By the way, a huge number of people on this forum are using Chamonix, Shen-Hao, or other Chinese cameras. Are these bad-quality products?

This discussion has long since turned political and frankly probably has more than run its course.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

The Chinese have recently been doing what the Japanese were doing in the 1940s and 1950s to catch up with American industrial capabilities. Both countries supported their industries by exporting crap to other countries who valued cheap more than quality while producing increasingly fine items for their own use. Our penchant for shoddy goods may do us in when competition with emerging countries becomes a matter of survival. We may laugh at a country that seems not to master the engineering of a clothes pin, but may yet be the first to land a human on Mars.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Barlow View Post
    5G is a technology designed by the Chinese, the Deep State Silicon Valley billionaires, and transdimensional aliens to control our minds. It's true. I heard it from Alex Jones, so it must be completely true and accurate.
    Bruce, let me point what was the context. Here we are comparing german original lensboards to chinese copies. I was challenging the statement that chinese companies only are able to copy things.

What is true is that 5G deployment will substitute (near all) base stations and most of the new ones will be made by chinese corporations incorporating their own chips, and this even has global security concerns.

So those still having the perception that China only manufactures cheapo bazar articles have pretty outdated information.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    The Chinese have recently been doing what the Japanese were doing in the 1940s and 1950s to catch up with American industrial capabilities. Both countries supported their industries by exporting crap to other countries who valued cheap more than quality while producing increasingly fine items for their own use. Our penchant for shoddy goods may do us in when competition with emerging countries becomes a matter of survival. We may laugh at a country that seems not to master the engineering of a clothes pin, but may yet be the first to land a human on Mars.
    Yes... technology presently mastered by chinese corporations is catching the one in western corporations, and soon they will lead in many fields, and still retaining manufacturing cost competitivity.

They are able to source 5G base stations made with their own components ...and at the same time making very cheap copies of bare lensboards.

So perhaps many countries should reconsider if their strategy is good enough.

In order for a developing economy like China’s to achieve “developed” status where its goods can compete on the basis of quality and not just price, it needs access to capital. Many people think this involves the sale of stock, or investments made by venture capitalists (and it often does). But it's even more important for a country’s manufacturing sector to have access to the international bond market. With more than $100 trillion in securities, the bond market is much larger than all stock markets combined.

The sale of bonds enable a company to fund growth through research, development, increased quality control, expanded production, and distribution at larger scale. But for any given company to sell a bond, potential investors (the bond buyers) need to be able to assess how likely that company is to repay its bonds on time, without defaulting. Investors have to do their own research into a company’s credit worthiness, but as part of that process they often consider the bond ratings and company research published by the international credit rating agencies. Without a third party’s credit ratings, most investors won’t buy a company's bonds.

So what does this have to do with China (and more importantly for the purposes of this forum, what does this have to do with products purchased by photographers)? Until recently, none of the international credit rating agencies had a license to operate in China. But that just recently changed, and may prove to be a significant game changer over time. This sort of development doesn't splash across the headlines of newspapers/websites, so to some it may seem incidental and far removed. But many of the camera, lenses, and film manufacturers we all know and respect didn't just start out of the gate making high quality products; they did so with the help of bond investors. And one of the barriers between those investors and China's manufacturers has just been cleared. The change won't happen over night, and many other factors too numerous to mention could change the game in many other ways. But the one constant we can always count on, is change.
    I dream in black and white.

a developing economy like China’s to achieve... ...it needs access to capital..
    They have capital in excess, in fact they even had $1.3 trillion invested in US national debt bonds alone in 2011.