Hi.
Just started using 8x10, and am really enjoying it. However, I've run through about 15 films and have yet
to obtain a negative that I would call a "keeper". Made a bunch of silly mistakes; this format is NOT forgiving
of mistakes (e.g. focus, film loading errors, scratches during developing, closing the damned lens BEFORE shooting, making sure there is ABSOLUTELY NO light hitting negs during development). I would have had two yesterday; beautiful model, perfect natural light. Both negs ruined. One by light streaks (left the digital clock too close to tray when developing! Dohh!) One has a few scratches. That Microtek scanner is looking better and better all the time.

Still, I am fascinated by the process involved in 8x10 photography. Rather than getting discouraged, each mistake seems to augment my determination to do ALL THINGS RIGHT the next time. Funny thing is, there seems to be a carryover with respect to shooting with smaller formats; It takes a LOT longer to expose one roll of film with my 'Blad than it used to.

I was wondering how many of you had similar frustrations before obtaining your first 8x10 "keeper".