Greetings All,

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank all you great folks who provided advice and recommendations when I was tossing the idea of going with either a 5x7 or 8x10 Deardorff.

Well, I chose the 5x7 format over the 8x10 after careful consideration of availability, weight, the lenses I currently have (used with my 4x5), and, of course, the formats themselves. IMHO, I believe the 5x7 is going to be more aligned to the way I "see."

I've also decided that, in the majority of the times I shoot B&W with this camera, I'll most likely be contact printing instead of enlarging. In most cases, when shooting with 4x5, I tend to use color transparencies rather than negatives. I'll be doing likewise with the 5x7. Since this camera came with a 4x5 reducing back it gives me some versatility. Lastly, this particular kit came in completely restored condition at a price I couldn't turn down. I only wish I knew how to post images of it on this forum. It's really beautiful!

My question here is, "I'm sure there's a formula (hopefully, a simple one) used to calculate the covering power of a lens. Does anyone know it off hand?"

At present, I have the following glass:

90 Fujinon f8 SW

150 Nikor f5.6 W

210 Sironar f5.6

240 Symmar f5.6

300 Fujinon f8 T

360 Symmar f6.8

Any thoughts or comments? What do you 5x5 shooters use for lenses... and why?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers