Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Protecting lenses while backpacking

Protecting lenses while backpacking

I also use the padded cells made by Outdoor Research. The most important is probably tight lens caps. If the lens cap doesn't come off, you won't damage your optics unless something radical happens.

If your lenscap is loose, a little gaffers tape on the inside can snug it up until you can get a new one. If you have a relatively modern lens that takes common sized caps, you can order Schneider, Rodenstock, and Kaiser slip-on caps in mm sizes from B&H, and of course screw-on and snap caps are always an option, if your lenses are standard sizes.

For odd sizes, there's S.K. Grimes for custom caps.

Thanks gang. As alway...great advice. I like the simplicity of the lens wraps, but, you're right, I need to spring for some good fitting lens caps.

Joe, the Alpine Lakes area is near Leavenworth, WA. When you visit Rainier, try the 4-5 mile loop that takes you up to Panorama Point. If you go clockwise, it will take you along a ridge that looks down on the Nisqually Glacier (this way if you don't want to do the whole trail you'll see this spectacular sight). It's hard to judge the scale of the crevasses until you notice a string of tiny dots (climbers). The trail is quite safe with maybe a 1500 foot elevation gain (starting at the Paradise parking lot). If you'd like more info let me know...I've spent a lot of time on the mountain, including once on the summit, although not with the view camera : )

i've been through many different types of snap on caps, and there is a difference in how well they stay on the lenses. imho, the best ones are made by contax, then next best by tamron. both available from b and h.

Sometimes I use the otterbox (http://www.otterbox.com) for my Grand.75/4.5 and 110XL with lensboards (Horseman FA) and some the silica packs.

Dmitri Orlov

My two-cents worth. Get caps that fit (they're not that expensive...). I carry 5 lenses, a 4x5 wooden field camera, meter, holders and accessories in a combination of vest and fanny pack. My lenses all live in homemade cardboard boxes, double or triple thickness corrugated and well taped. They are very rigid, but lightweight and can be stacked. The boxes are open on one end (the top), which has never presented a problem (one could make lids as well). One lens stores folded in the camera, the others live in their boxes with properly fitting caps. My camera sits on top of two of the boxes in the fanny pack. I have had zero problem with damage or scratches.

I tried the lens wrap thing long ago, but found that it took a lot of space and provided only minimal protection. Boxes are a lot more rigid and surprisingly lightweight. The trick is finding boxes that fit your lens exactly, hence the "custom" homemade boxes. Sit down with the scissors, strapping tape, and the thickest corrugated you can find and make a box or two. You may end up being convinced.

Best

The wife made bags for each lens from ultrasweade. Each bag has a large flap. This material is expensive, but does not lint, scratch, pill, or do do anything nasty. The bag keeps the shutter free of dust also which is the main cause of failure.

Lenses go in with slip on manufactures caps and the flap wraped around. The wrapped lens is then put in the backpack which has divided compartments sized for the individual lenses .

Never use the plastic caps with the squeeze things that engage filter threads. A wrong bump on the clip and off it comes sliding acress the front of the lens.

Calumet maintains stock on the different size slip on caps as does Schneider. I have purchased replacements for used lenses that came without front and rear caps.

SK Grimes also will make proper metal slip caps.

Lens wraps also work, but are much more bulky and you don`t need that if it is going into padded compartments.

Schneider will replace elements for you. You can also use uv filters for extra protection.

Ronald, I also use home-sewn ultrasuede pouches. Also have a large black piece for a focus cloth.

Just one quick tip: Should you decide to wash this material, DO NOT put it in the clothes dryer. It is 100% acrylic and will melt!

Sounds like a great focus cloth. Light weight and 100% lightproof.

Bubble pack. Light and good as anything. I have dropped one lens off my shoulder with no effect. Also I climb some pretty steep cliffs with it. Why was the cable release inside the same bag as the lens?