Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wide-angle shift aid for a folding camera

Wide-angle shift aid for a folding camera

Wouldn't it be possible to have a good machine shop make a shifting arrangement for the lensboard itself? This would be a smaller, captive lensboard that is attached to the standard Linhof lensboard. The smaller lensboard could then be shifted up when needed. You probably couldn't get more than about 20mm from this arrangement but would certainly be partial solution to the problem.

Bob S., I am looking forward to put my hand on a TK and see how it feels. Robert, I do appreciate your report on your work with both camera types. I will keep this in mind, knowing nothing is more valuable than the field experience. And in this, using a camera is like wearing shoes: one must feel comfortable with. What I am saying is that some wou ld perhaps prefer a TK and others a Tech. Having used a Tech for so long, I think I am spoiled for s omething else and it seems you've got the virus too! Bob E. you suggest the use of a mobile sliding attachment on the lens board. Thi s is exactly what I had in mind. In fact, as both the 47 and 65 (55-75)mm need a little bit of extension from the plate, it should'nt be too difficult for a mechanical engineer ! to work with arrowed prof iles, say, a 12-15mm shift. (As for me being my own engineer so far, it might take a little more pain !) These two lenses would benefit the most from such a device (they require very precise adjustment s), as for longer lenses (90mm and more) the GG image is good enough to make the settings from the back. Still, and in case a Linhof engineer would come across these lines, I think a wi de-angle capable Master 2000 with an additional 20mm lens fall would be a mighty versatile tool. See, the marketing is done so that you have to buy a camera for each of the specific uses. So you e nd up with a panoramic and it's lenses, a monorail for the studio, a folding for the field, a medium fo rmat system, a Sylvestri or similar for wide-angle work and two mules to carry it all along (and I won't speak of the financial aspect) . But what about the poor lonesome photographer far away from his car? Y ou definitly have to make a choice on what gear and what kind of photography you are going to do on t hat day or on that journey. And this will force you to by-pass some nice opportunities. (And what a bout this precious accessory you have forgotten in the other bag?) This is why I love the Technika' s concept: the all in one camera. It won't replace a medium format for subjects in motion (I have not found the cam thing useful) but when I have it in my back pack, I feel ready for most situations. Th e new Master 2000 capabilities for handling wide-angles places it in high estime, but it just miss es the lens fall to be perfect.

Paul,

Linhofs have a tripod socket on top of the camera housing when you remove the accessory shoe.

This allows you to mount the camera upside down on a tripod.

When you do that the 1.5" of front rise becomes instead 1.5" of front fall. More than you are looking for.

Bob,

I agree, this should be possible, but a somewhat scary thing to do, due to the r isk of a sudden shut down. And, as you know, especially with lenses mounted on the extension (90mm an d on), the overall weight of the mobile part makes it very easy to happen. But if the inside of the housing was wider to allow for lateral shift, this would have worked well by placing the camera on th e side. ... But perhaps aesthetically not very satisfying!

Not everyone would agree with Bob's statement that the TK unfolds and folds quickly and easily and certainly not with the statement that it is quicker than the Technika. I've owned a TK and presently own the Technika. The Technika for me is much faster, easier, and simpler to fold and unfold than the TK ever was. It's always advisable to try using any camera before you buy it. With the TK, this advice is doubly important. Some people find it easy to use, others don't.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Anyone who has read the instructions or watched me at a trade show would quickly see how quickly the TK sets up and takes down. Once really used to it it opens as quickly as an accordian and closed just as quickly.

To open: Set the red levers to off. Rotate the focus knob and pull. Since the detents for tilt and swing are on the camera clicks open in an aligned condition. With a Quickfix plate on the bottom you simply touch the plate to the Quickfix base and its automatically locked on to the tripod.

It taks much longer to read this than to open a TK and lock it on a Quickfix quick release (as opposed to a fast mountin) plate.