Thread: Hard shell Pelican as Backpack

Hard shell Pelican as Backpack

I have several bags and backpacks for camera gear. I also have a herd shell Pelican case that rolls. It is the #1510 that fits in the airline over head (or used to). Has an extending handle an wheels. . .I like it.

Several years ago, someone designed a set of shoulder straps that allow it to be carried as a backpack. Looks workable for short walks, but uncomfortable. And this product costs $100mn or more.

I found a different product on eBay that looked enough better and so much cheaper that I bought it with a keystroke. Its a tangle of straps and buckles that, when sorted out, amounts to the back pad of a real backpack with shoulder straps and padded waist belt. There is a system of four straps that securely lock down a hard shell case. These straps are generous enough to accommodate accesses of different shapes.

It cost me $32 with shipping. Look on eBay using "Adapter, Backpack, Inspire-1"

Yup, this is designed to hold the hard case for a largish drone. It came yesterday and seems sturdy enough for gentle hiking with a loaded Pelican casse. My 1510 fits well with extra strapping tfor something a bit largwer.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Re: Hard shell Pelican as Backpack

Drew,

My camera kit of choice for cities is something similar to what you describe. I have a wheeled carry-on suitcase/backpack with shoulder straps. It's really more of a backpack with wheels and an extending handle. I use it as a carry-on for travel and for my camera gear when photographing in cities.

I only shoot 4x5, so the kit is fairly lightweight at about 20 lbs (Wista SW, 75, 90, 135, 180, 210 and 240mm compact lenses plus focusing cloth filters, meter, six filmholders, etc.). I can carry it pretty easily for long periods and take the opportunity to roll it when the surface is smooth enough. Rolling much on rough surfaces shakes things around a lot. Once I had to reassemble the camera as all the knobs had vibrated off, so I carry it mostly. When I lived and worked in Vienna, I bicycled with the backpack on, tripod strapped to the rack of the bike. I did this extensively and will likely do it again here in my new digs in Oregon when I get around to shooting the city.

My bag has the advantage that it stands on its wheels, making it easy to work out of (I do get to practice my deep-knee bends though).

Best,

Doremus

I got this backpack adapter, not out of need, but mostly because it seemed to be a cool "hack". The set is intended for a hard case for a larger quad-drone set . . .and the case is less substantial than the Perlican cases. I ran across this u-tube video that showed that the backpack adapter could be removed from the drone case and easily applied to exactly the Pelican case that I already have (1510). The clincher was that it cost less than $40 shipped to my door. I tried it out and it looks like the straps will accommodate a somewhat larger pelican case . . .if one is man enough.

I do not usually use the Pelican case for more than storing gear in the closet. though it has traveled as a carry-on. My shooting kit in 4x5 has been , for several years now, a Wista made Zone VI with 90/150/210, 6-10 film holders and the other stuff. Tripod is an older model Velbon carbon set of legs with a Magnesium alloy ball head. The camera is light enough for the legs.

All of that nests in an old (film era) LowePro "Masgnum-35" shoulder bag. Total weight with legs is 20-25lbs. In the last few years, I strap that to a set of folding luggage wheels. Getting both hips replaced this year, so thatmay change in the future.

Welcome to America . . .good shooting!
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

It cost me $32 with shipping. Look on eBay using "Adapter, Backpack, Inspire-1"
    Beware. The weight of drones is so little compared to our LF gear.

^+

Sure. It is obvious that this rig is not for hauling a heavy load for extended perio\ds in rough country. This is a relatively low cost expedient for urban transport of sensitive gear.

While I focused on its utility for a Pelicasn cssde (that is what I have), this adapter could be used with those older Aluminum Zero-Haliburton cases that never had wheels. . . .or a stout cardboard box.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com

Ah, yes. Again. We should ALL read our volleys before hitting "Post Quick Reply." Nothing personal, friends. Just sayin' Again.
    Peter Collins

On the intent of the First Amendment: The press was to serve the governed, not the governors --Opinion, Hugo Black, Judge, Supreme Court, 1971 re the "Pentagon Papers."

I am probably the biggest offender of the English language and I only speak and write English for 54 years now!

Drew Wiley

Why??? Just a lot of redundant weight that could easily be replaced by something else. But what gives me the jitters about pro camera cases is that is just what they look like! I did use a dedicated handtruck and equip cases for architectural lighting and accompanying Sinar gear, but never had it out of my sight. My brother was a pro photographer who put his equipment in snazzy shiny Halliburton cases with a big sticker on the outside that said, Dead Cat Enclosed. That didn't stop them from getting stolen more than once. Maybe if he had actually put a dead cat in there it would have worked better. Something additional you have to beware of with Pelican, however, is that they're made of ABS. They might seem tough; but when the temperature gets significantly below freezing, ABS itself gets brittle, and a comparatively minor drop or bump can crack them. Don't confuse this fact with ABS drainage pipe, which is the thick air-cell variety.