Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice required for selenium toning Ilford Warmtone

Drew Wiley

Re: Advice required for selenium toning Ilford Warmtone

It's easy to cool it off "a bit". But getting a true consistent neutral cold tone print on WARMTONE, without a conspicuous hue bias, has so far been elusive, and probably is impossible.

An experiment for you. You can do all of this in a well lit area.

A) Selenium Tone a print completely until the whole image shifts color from shadows to highlights.

B)
    1) Tone until your darkest shadows shift to brown.
    2) bleach your print - Your dark tones will likely change a little bit but now you can see where your archival process ends. wash for 5 mins to remove the bleach.
    3) redevelop with normal paper developer or even a sepia developer until highlight density returns. It may take a few minutes depending on dilution.
    4a) If you used a normal developer , Put the print back in the selenium and tone until the highlights shift color or any point where you like the look.
    4b) if you used a sepia toner like thiourea use a 50/50% mix of A and B to start with and tone completely.

WASH WELL!!!
    After drying compare the color of the prints.

In my experimentation, I have found that the selenium reacts with the bleach and changes color to a nicer brown than full selenium toning without bleach. It could be that the silver grains deeper in the gelatin are now affected by the additional treatment.

I also like to reverse the process a bit and do some partial highlight to mid tone bleaching first , then thiourea 40/60, wash, then selenium. If there are lots of mid tones you get an interesting reddish brown, but your blacks can stay charcoal-ish.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

Thanks for all the replies, the video on YouTube was very helpful. Also, I imagine that I’ll need to make a judgment call based on the dry prints after being toned, can a selenium toner print be put in the microwave as with regular prints to speed things up?

Thanks.

I always use two prints - I tone one and put the other up on my stand by the toning tub. From time-to-time, I compare the toning print to the reference. For me, when I see the change in color (that ol' Dektol green goes away) on the tomed print, I'm done. That typically happens, for me, with RST 1:20 at about 75 degrees, in two to three minutes. That gives me what I want.

The point is to have a reference to compare to, under a good light.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Barlow View Post
    I always use two prints - I tone one and put the other up on my stand by the toning tub. From time-to-time, I compare the toning print to the reference. For me, when I see the change in color (that ol' Dektol green goes away) on the tomed print, I'm done. That typically happens, for me, with RST 1:20 at about 75 degrees, in two to three minutes. That gives me what I want.

The point is to have a reference to compare to, under a good light.
    Thanks for the tip, correct me if I’m wrong as I’ve never done this before but wouldn’t it be necessary to check the print being toned again a wet print or dry the selenium toned print to compare against a dry print?

I’m just thinking that dry down can be so misleading when judging a wet print’s characteristics.

Reference print should be wet, too. You're right about dry-down. If you keep track of time, you can tone the reference print after the first one.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Barlow View Post
    Reference print should be wet, too. You're right about dry-down. If you keep track of time, you can tone the reference print after the first one.
    Great, thanks for clarifying.

One more quick question! If I wanted to experiment with whitening the highlights a bit , I understand that I could split tone with a bleach. I don’t really want to give the highlights a brown/sepia tiny so what bleach (if any) gives neutral highlights?

Thanks.

Drew Wiley

Papers differ with respect to whether the bleached area will show a yellowish color shift afterwards or not. It also depends on any specific toners involved before or after the bleach step. I find MGWT to be quite cooperative in this respect with classic Farmers A&B reducer, leaving no color bias. You need to re-fix the print after bleaching, and wash of course. You probably won't find any Farmer's under Kodak label anymore; but Photographer's Formulary has an identical twin.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Papers differ with respect to whether the bleached area will show a yellowish color shift afterwards or not. It also depends on any specific toners involved before or after the bleach step. I find MGWT to be quite cooperative in this respect with classic Farmers A&B reducer, leaving no color bias. You need to re-fix the print after bleaching, and wash of course. You probably won't find any Farmer's under Kodak label anymore; but Photographer's Formulary has an identical twin.
    Thanks for the reply, I have some potassium ferricyanide, could I use that to lift the highlights, fix, then selenium tone?