After 20 years absence from Photography, I'm back. I've shot 2 1/4 and 4x5 in the past of landscapes strictly in B&W. Used to use Pyro developer with propriety formular- basically what is now WD2D. I've noticed in using my new scanner that grain can be an issue with the negatives I shot 25 years ago - then it was not a problem as I used Fred Pickers Cold Light Head for my printing.

Films have come and gone, hopefully some have improved, in the last 20 years. I've reviewed many posts here but find very little on scanning and the ideal film/s.

I would appreciate your suggestions for what B&W film AND developer I should give consideration to. I know there is a lot of personal preferances involved but ideally I'm seeking advise from individuals who are scanning their files and printing up to and including 30x40 size prints for the fine art market, but I'll listen to most anyone that has something to share!

I prefer to go with one film and developer for my work and learn it's traits in detail rather than constantly changing.

The key factor is that the B&W negs will be scanned on my Howtek 8000 drum scanner, which can scan down to 3 microns, so grain is a serious consideration for me; far more concern on grain and latitude than film speed. Currently I'm finding I'm getting best scanned images at 8 and 10 microns from my old negatives.

To date, I've purchase the following for my use: Howtek 8000 HiResolve drum scanner and the Jobo CPP2 with lift to do my own developing; X-Rite 810 densitometer to calibrate my negatives to the Zone System. All future shooting will be on 120/220 film and 4x5 - I don't care if I have to load my 4x5 or go with QuickLoads/ReadyLoads - I'm far more concerned with results rather than convenience.

Once negative is scanned, I'll stay in the digital domain with CS2 and be printing on the Epson 4800. No darkroom printing.

Your guidance and learned experience is appreciated.
Jack