Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Curious, Anyone ever take an LF camera on a cruise?

Curious, Anyone ever take an LF camera on a cruise?

The very fact I wrote that sounds preposterous haha but then I was trying to think 'why not?' - especially 4x5 which isn't that much heavier than a DSLR honestly - it just needs a tripod (typically).

So...anyone try this? The family likes to go on a Caribbean cruise and I've taken some fairly gorgeous shots in 35mm and 120. Some of the ports I've been to a few times and while I don't get the luxury of being there at perfect light, there's often interesting things to point a camera at. I'm not expecting epic shots as much - but I truly enjoy using the camera and it would be good practice if nothing else. Especially for ports I've been to as I already know the sort of shots I might want.

I take the damn thing backpacking so it's not like lugging it around is that big a deal. It's more the social aspects really - I'd be "that guy with the box camera" and when I go on cruises I like to NOT be noticed. Toting around even a 4x5 camera is not the way to do that :P

But it sure does seem like it could be a lot of fun...a shame I can't marry 4x5 with SCUBA diving (I recall some folks have done this but it's definitely far beyond an after-thought and nearly impossible to do without planning around it).

Perhaps to generalize, curious where some of you folks have taken your LF gear where it doesn't normally belong.

Re: Curious, Anyone ever take an LF camera on a cruise?

Yes, I did once when I was on Caribbean cruise. I enjoyed using my 4x5 on that trip. The only inconvenience is the films have to pass through security.

Only if you want your partner to throw you overboard

Quote Originally Posted by m00dawg View Post
    So...anyone try this?
    Of course !!!

A notable case was Alfred Stieglitz, he carried a 4x5 Auto-Graflex in a cruise.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Steerage
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fine-art_photography

Many historians say this is the most important photograph ever made in the photo art...

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    Only if you want your partner to throw you overboard
    It's important to request the partner to throw first camera and later the man, with the inverse order sure the camera would go to the swimmer's head

Haha oh she knows And yes she's wonderfully patient when I bust the thing out, but that's a valid point.

We're going to San Juan and I wanted to try and get the colorful umbrellas on 4x5 slide (but at least color neg). I know it's been taken already, plenty of times, probably in large format even, but even so I would enjoy it and it'll be a nice memento. She wasn't opposed hehe. But if I didn't bring the 4x5, I would bring my Bronica SQ on that trip.

The scanning thing sucks for sure :/ I've been able to smuggle 35mm back aboard without having to run it through the scanner. I recall I just let them scan my rolls of 120 and they turned out ok. I don't foresee doing that with film holders alas. But I also only hand-check my roll film when flying and just risk it with sheets. I wish I could avoid that but heck mailing it back could involve a scanner. It seems hard to avoid. I just try to minimize it (I try to shoot any film I take on a trip so I don't have to toss it back in the fridge to be scanned another day).

Like balls on pool tables, tripod mounted cameras don't hold still on rocking ships. But what do I know, I just sailed the 7 seas on a Navy ship.

Even better is to throw the man and keep his camera for yourself.
    But seriously - does it matter how you bring the camera to the ports where you want to take pics?? What you do out of the boat has nothing to do with the boat anyway. Where's the problem if any?

I used a 4x5 on a river cruise on the Danube. Setting up on the sun deck afforded wonderful views of the river as we moved along. Shutter speeds were fast enough and the ship was stable enough. I changed films in the bathroom at night. But the flight created enough difficulties that I decided for future holidays that medium format was sufficient.

Quote Originally Posted by cowanw View Post
    I used a 4x5 on a river cruise on the Danube. Setting up on the sun deck afforded wonderful views of the river as we moved along. Shutter speeds were fast enough and the ship was stable enough. I changed films in the bathroom at night. But the flight created enough difficulties that I decided for future holidays that medium format was sufficient.
    Curious what those difficulties were? I was more concerned about the ship's X-ray scanner than the airport ones. I've flown with 4x5 before (will be doing so again next week). It pains me everytime I see my film going through the scanner but, so far, no ill results. I haven't run tons of film through though to say for certain and it is a big of a gamble for how the X-ray scanner is setup. I've run HP5, FP4, Ektar, and Velvia through. Next week I'll be flying with Pancro 400 so we'll see how that goes.

Back to it though yeah curious if I just haven't run into a situation yet that perhaps you have. At least in the US, the TSA has mostly been reasonable. Trying to ask for a "hand check" on a cruise ship when English is not the first language AND film not being the dominant format, is an exercise in futility.

The river cruises do not have any scanning as of yet. The airline issues were more of volume and weight of luggage; apart from the tripod and empty double dark slides (which limited my weight limit for my regular stuff) , I took everything else as hand luggage (which also cut into my other stuff).