Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lensboards with central hole and Fuji PA-145 for Wista 4x5?

lensboards with central hole and Fuji PA-145 for Wista 4x5?

Just a couple of small questions related to a Wista 4x5:

- I often run out of vertical shift. But all my lenses came in lensboards with the hole decentered to the bottom. So I'd like to buy a couple of lensboards with the hole in the middle or without a hole (lathe and mill available). But what are reputable sources? I find them on Ebay but or they are cheap and seem to be missing some chamfers and the ring at the back (but I can buy 3 at the same place minimising shipping) or they are relatively costly because I have to pay transport for each apart.

- I have some FP-100C around but I find the EE-100 lacking and was looking at a Mamiya Universal with pola back (have lenses). But for the same price I can find a Fuji PA-145 that would let me use the FP-100 on the Wista. But it looks so thick that I fear I won't get it under the spring. Has anyone used this combination and does it work? Or is this back made for a Graflok back?
    Expert in non-working solutions.

Re: lensboards with central hole and Fuji PA-145 for Wista 4x5?

You are looking for a Linhof board, all the others, including Wista, are copies.
    Linhof positioned the hole in the board so the optical center of the lens is centered on the film.

The lens has to fit within the ring on the back of the board. The ring is a light trap. So there is just a limited amount that you can mill the board to raise the lens. Do you think that that limited amount of increased rise will solve your problem?

You did not mention which model Wista camera you are using. All current and recent Wista cameras without a Graflok back are designed to accept any roll film 120 or 220 holder under the gg. For that reason the hinges on the gg back are very long and they allow the gg back to pull much further from the camera back then other makes.
    However, that means that if you have a roll back placed under the gg it could scratch or scuff the ground side of the focusing screen. For that reason Wista made 69 and 67 roll backs that had a flat metal plate on top of them to prevent the gg from coming in contact with the back.

Reason for hole in lower part is to avoid having the bed in to the picture with wider lenses. Though this is for 8x10", it may apply: the lens board for my 150mm is decentered 21mm and square. I can turn the board and have the lens shifted before I move the standard. For a Wista, this means you might need more than one lens board when changing from downwards shift to max upwards.
    I have had great success with my orders from www.Skgrimes.com

Big Wehman, Toyo 5x7" and a small Chamonix

Quote Originally Posted by Oslolens View Post
    Reason for hole in lower part is to avoid having the bed in to the picture with wider lenses.
    Not likely. Linhof boards that have the lens hole 'decentered' are such that they are centered without front rise - the front rise mechanism takes up the space which would let the lens be centered. It is a Linhof fact of life.

Maybe a decentered lensboard is centered when mounted on a linhof but on a Wista 45N it is 1/2" below the optical axis. From what I found is they did this to have more downward shift. But I'm mostly with buildings or land/cityscapes and could use those couple mm upwards shift.

But where could I get a couple of them? I'd prefer the version with the ring.

Ok, so nothing to worry about putting such a PA-145 under the gg. Mine definately has no graflock back.

Quote Originally Posted by Havoc View Post

Buy from Skgrimes.com: http://skgrimes.com/products/lens-boards/technika

Quote Originally Posted by Havoc View Post
    Maybe a decentered lensboard is centered when mounted on a linhof but on a Wista 45N it is 1/2" below the optical axis. From what I found is they did this to have more downward shift. But I'm mostly with buildings or land/cityscapes and could use those couple mm upwards shift.

Ok, so nothing to worry about putting such a PA-145 under the gg. Mine definately has no graflock back.
    Recessed, you won’t find one, the Linhof pilot hole board could be milled or boaeprd out by anyone with the proper millinfpg or boring equiptment and would let you place the hole where you want it, within reason. It is not supplied with the QR connector.

Havoc,

I don't know what Wista you have, but on all of mine (DX, SWD), the board with the off-center hole centers the lens on the camera...

As for boards with center holes: I have used several of various makes to do exactly what you are proposing. Whether or not it works depends on the lens. Lenses with larger rear elements will sometimes not work since mounting gets to be difficult or impossible.

FWIW, I used a Woodman for a few years and was able to mount the Technika-style boards upside-down on it. The off-center boards gave a gratifying amount of extra rise so mounted. The Wista configuration won't allow this, unfortunately.

Best,

Doremus

This is for a Wista 45D and I do have measured it, an off-center board sets the lens below the optical axis. I do have a single centered one and it is really visible.

I'll contact SKGrimes for a price.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Not likely. Linhof boards that have the lens hole 'decentered' are such that they are centered without front rise - the front rise mechanism takes up the space which would let the lens be centered. It is a Linhof fact of life.
    You are right! I have even seen the effect of centered Technica mounted on Linhof Kardan-to-technica adapter board on my 8x10" Bender. The teacher was explaining the Scheimflug rule, and was really strugling compared to his Arca-swiss. "Is your lens not centered?"