Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Deardorff 8x10 or 5x7 Special?

Deardorff 8x10 or 5x7 Special?

In fact, there are a number of 5x7 field cameras that weigh no more than some 4x5's

True, but the fact that, for example a Canham metal field 5x7 weights less than a Sinar P2 4x5 is hardly remarkable.

What should be compared is the weight of a Canham metal field 5x7 v. a Canham metal field 4x5.

Otherwise, you could also find a 8x10 that weight less than some 5x7 (or even 4x5s).

Deardorff 8x10 or 5x7 Special?

Rob,

LOL... you ARE talking about our Canuck buck in comparison with the American buck, aren't you?

But, yes, I am a fellow Canuck!

"In conclusion you might have to go with either a 7x17 Canadian or maybe a 8x20. Or maybe one of each."

Yikes! Try getting 7x17 or 8x20 film at the local store! I'm discovering 5x7 is going to be a challenge unless it's imported from the US. The only film available is either FP4 or HP5. Color? What color? So, it looks like I'll be buying film from either Calumet, B&H, or J&C... more dealings with customs duties & taxes. Not my favorite activity!

Ted,

I've discovered there's only one, count em... one, lab that processes 5x7 in town. The other labs don't have the proper 5x7 hangers. As for enlargements... one lab requires that the film be digitized and one lab can/will print either neg or pos. Contact printing is easy for most labs.

As for film... looks like importing from the US is the only real alternative. One of the bigger supply firms here (Treck) doesn't even show a listing of color film from either Kodak or Fuji.

So, thank you very, very much for bringing this issue up in the first place.

QT,

Don't forget the Sinar X... it, too, weighs a ton and isn't a camera one would wish to lug around out in the field (unless their looking for a hernia just to get out of work!) It's much, much heavier than an 5x7 or 8x10 Dorff. So, your point about Canham metal field 5x7 versus Canham metal field 4x5 is a point well-taken and makes sense.

Cheers all.
    Life in the fast lane!