Greetings,

Just a curiosity here... I've been in the market for an 8x10 Dorff for a little while now. At present, I shoot with a Sinar X indoors and a Tachihara 4x5 outdoors. However, I've always wanted a piece of photographic tradition and, therefore, my desire for the Dorff.

I now have an opportunity to pick up a beautifully, restored 5x7 Deardorff Special (with 4x5 Graflex back) at a reasonable (??) price of US$1,600.

My question is, "Should I go for the 5x7 or just stay on track for an 8x10 V8?"

I'm looking to use this camera both indoors and outdoors... landscapes outdoors and still lifes indoor. I would be dispensing with the Tachihara when I move to either the 5x7 or 8x10.

5x7 film isn't all that readily available... I know you can cut 8x10 to 5x7 although this could be a bit of a hassle to do.
8x10 film comes in a few more varieties.
I have a couple of 8x10 holders but no 5x7s at the moment.
I know that an 8x10 also has, as an option, a 5x7 and/or a 4x5 reducing back enabling the use of 3 different formats.
Films will always be processed by a pro lab... no space to do my own thing here.

Although I know the ultimate decision has to be made by the photographer, I'm just curious as to what choice would "YOU" good folks go with if you were in the same boat as I am (and given the above variables?)

TIA for any sage advice.

Cheers