Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Critiques and Discussion-- what are they?

Re: Critiques and Discussion-- what are they?

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    “I love/hate it” to an extensive artsy-fartsy analysis.
    No... Of course we may have nasty critique, but it can also generate a rich debate from what everyone may learn and share points of view.

An author may explain what he did and why, and others may point how a master addressed a similar situation. It may be the right frame to share knowledge with examples, and points of view related to aesthetics. It requires respect.

A community may not be able proceed like this, or it may...

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    No... Of course we may have nasty critique, but it can also generate a rich debate from what everyone may learn and share points of view.

An author may explain what he did and why, and others may point how a master addressed a similar situation. It may be the right frame to share knowledge with examples, and points of view related to aesthetics. It requires respect.

A community may not be able proceed like this, or it may...
    Yes... between those two extremes is discussion,which could be positive, negative, ego-boosting, or combinations thereof... which maybe more valuable than the extremes!

But back to suggestion #2 of the OP for a moment. Another approach to image-sharing-only would be if the forum software settings allowed the thread originator to post a picture and lock the thread. Isn’t that capability allowed on For Sale postings?

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Yes... between those two extremes is discussion... which maybe more valuable than the extremes!
    Of course, just praising all works ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssta0_4GkRA) we have no rich debate... but we need environmental respect to go beyond that.

(Sorry, I love too much Taratino movies...)

multiplex

hello mmerig

you may find that many people who post images on the internet really don't want more
    than a " looks great " " hot model, where'd you find her" pat on the back sort of critique. people are doing
    this photography-thing as a hobby, something to do for fun &c and they might not have really thick skin,
    which is something people sometimes need for a critique.. not everyone who critiques an image will compliment
    the buxom model or the nice lens, sharpness or no grain processing but will run amok ...
    im not sure this site or many others for that matter will have many people uploading images for critique
    if people give a constructive non platitudeous comments. in addition it is really hard to know where someone is coming from
    if they just throw an image out there for critique. is the photograph part of an ongoing project? does the person have
    extreme phobias about whatever subject they are tackling? do they want someone to shred them? do they sleepwalk with a camera ?
    years ago i was approached by someone who asked me to critique an image. i had no idea where he was coming from
    so... the critique i offered was pretty much middle of the road and i mentioned something about tonality and composition ... unfortunately
    the person didn't like my critique and began a trolling campaign after that .. if i had thrown him under the bus
    i can only imagine what would have happened ...

YMMV
    Last edited by jnantz; 12-Dec-2018 at 14:42.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by mmerig View Post
    My suggested improvement is to:

1. Have a forum that allows critiques as a default ...
    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...light=critique

If you think you want to be a photographic critic you may wish to read about it.
    Criticizing Photographs: An Introduction to Understanding Images Paperback – Jul 21 2005
    by Terry Barrett
    OR A NEWER VERSION
    Criticizing Photographs Paperback – Mar 24 2011
    by Terry Barrett Professor

To be properly critical one needs to know the intent of the photographer, which is seldom stated here. Otherwise we just talk about preferences of technique and beauty.
    To be properly critical one needs to know the intent of the photograph.

Academics have something to say.

From Washington State University

"critique
    A critique is a detailed evaluation of something. The formal way to request one is “give me your critique,” though people often say informally “critique this”—meaning “evaluate it thoroughly.” But “critique” as a verb is not synonymous with “criticize” and should not be routinely substituted for it. “Josh critiqued my backhand” means Josh evaluated your tennis technique but not necessarily that he found it lacking. “Josh criticized my backhand” means that he had a low opinion of it.

You can write criticism on a subject, but you don’t criticize on something, you just criticize it."

My opinion is, we are here to help each other and further our Large Format interests.
    Tin Can

Les

Pardon if I sound like an absolutist, but in order to evaluate someone's images (or pretty much anything) one needs to have knowledge of the medium. Some people are educated in this area while others have an instinct. Just saying "nice color" hardly addresses the image (strengths or weaknesses) and usually it reveals the level of the onlooker.....and not necessarily the image.

Les

I've stated before that I think more discussion about photographs (not the technical stuff) should be made here. I think it should be the norm and not the exception. Due to the rules I often just don't post what I think is helpful dialog that could lead to a critique or discussion. Surface-level "nice work" is just left alone because it's not negative, I guess.

Some time ago I added the tag line to my signature you see below - "All comments and thoughtful critique welcome." I don't think this has increased the amount of critique I've gotten.

Remember, this forum is full of both hobbyists (used non-derogatorily, I just mean those who enjoy photography as a past-time) as well as those striving to be the best "artist" they can be. I use the term artist but let's not debate what that means...

Anyway - on the internet, there is a lack of body language, tone, etc. when writing simple replies. Due to this, I think critiques can sometimes come off as too professorial. There are certainly those here who can and should come off as such, because they've actually been teachers / professors of photography in a higher academic setting, but with the anonymity (relatively) of the forum, for the most part that's unknown. Also, I find that responding to critique can sometimes come off as challenging or prideful - but I think back-and-forth critique and discussion is a healthy part of the learning process. When I've sat in with critiques in photo classes the professor would often challenge the students to respond to his critiques and explain what was their intent. Sometimes this changed his viewpoint!

Also, good posts and thoughts above by Bill and Randy.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Critiques at least countenance some criticism. Many would prefer only praise. I think honest criticism is helpful. At least I might learn something. How can you improve if you only hear "good shot". Of course it is better to hear constructive criticism than mean spirited criticism. And you don't have to agree with it.
    Last edited by faberryman; 12-Dec-2018 at 16:21.