Thread: Can anyone recommend a good large format printer?

Can anyone recommend a good large format printer?

Hi! I'm looking to invest in a a good large format printer. I want UV capabilities and roll width of 45 or 60 inches. Can anyone make me some recommendations?

I'm also interested in service bureaus that can produce high quality, low cost prints.

- wiser_i

There was a great article about the HP designjet printers in View Camera magazine a few months back. We have an epson 7600 (24") that is the shorter model of the 9600 (44"). It looks pretty good, but I do think the Dmax is a little light. The newer epson and the HP designjet both have better Dmax, I think...

Check the 9800 that will be released this fall. The HP is limited to 24 inch. http://www.largeformatphotography.info/digital-printing.html

What issue has the story about the 130? I have been looking in my back issues but cannot find it.

As for prints being ruined by a drop of moisture - it would be better if they were water resistant, but it is not like you are slaving over a fine print in the darkroom. Once the file is edited, you can just run another one for a few dollars worth of materials on the off chance you that you ruin one. Paul B has an interesting piece on his WWW site about how digital prints change they you need to think about the value of a given print and how this might change the way you deal with them. For example, if you give a money back guarantee, just have them send you back a piece of the print because the print is not worth the postage to return it. I am also looking at the 130 because the difference between 1100 and 3000 is significant to me as an occasional fine art printer. If I were running a commercial service, or did a large volume of prints for third parties to handle, I would go with your recommendation for moisture stable printer in a second.

...me... heh heh heh

The Designjet is limited to 24". As far as moisture is concerned, you can always spray a protective overcoat on the print. The latest from Epson have very nice blacks and a somewhat improved color gamut. For maximum longevity & protection, various spray on, brush on, or hot mounted laminates can be applied that will totally remove any issues of water marks or fading that people may worry about.

The dyes on the HP are more stable than the Canon dyes for example, and yet after spray coatings, Canon prints in bright sunlight show no fading after quite a few years.

I'd echo the comments about getting samples though. See what you like best. For the deepest blacks and widest color gamut, go with the HP....for the greatest stability, use the Epsons.