Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tripod Head DIY

Re: Tripod Head DIY

It looks good! And I like your DIY spirit. It reminds me a bit of a Hercules head. Are the parts that slide against each other going to be polished aluminum?
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

bigger knobs or knobs with a leverage bar or whatever it would be called..I'd want to crank that sucker down tight

love the look though

The barn door tripod heads of a hundred years ago were simple, inexpensive, rigid, and light. Back in the days of large cameras with slow film, they had to be good. Basic woodworking skills and hardware from the corner hardware store are about all one needs. Now we can make heads that are more convenient and certainly more elegant with perhaps a modest improvement in stability and a huge increase in cost.

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    The barn door tripod heads of a hundred years ago were simple, inexpensive, rigid, and light. Back in the days of large cameras with slow film, they had to be good. Basic woodworking skills and hardware from the corner hardware store are about all one needs. Now we can make heads that are more convenient and certainly more elegant with perhaps a modest improvement in stability and a huge increase in cost.
    I agree Jim but Giles is making this head to go with his BADASS 16x20 which is a water cut all metal rail camera of Giles creation and a wooden flip top head even the Professional model which is 12x12 inch and an awesome head w/ my 11x14 Rochester Optical Co Carlton & 11x14 Monitor but would look silly with his modern water cut metal rail camera.Just my opinion.

Jim would you happen to have any links to that type of head? I think I know what you're talking about, hinge at the front with a shaft running vertically between two plates that gets clamped?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post

Quote Originally Posted by gphoto View Post
    Jim would you happen to have any links to that type of head? I think I know what you're talking about, hinge at the front with a shaft running vertically between two plates that gets clamped?
    This is simple wooden type.

Ries had an early metal version (and of course Ries has new versions.)
    Last edited by Jac@stafford.net; 6-Oct-2018 at 12:45.

Linhof's answer to that concept: http://linhof.com/en/levelling-pan-tilt-head/

I have an older version of the large one with the single strut and "top hat" removable plate.

Works well with the cameras I have.

I do like the design effort and execution of the work that you are doing...

Quote Originally Posted by Len Middleton View Post
    Linhof's answer to that concept: http://linhof.com/en/levelling-pan-tilt-head/

I have an older version of the large one with the single strut and "top hat" removable plate.

Works well with the cameras I have.

I do like the design effort and execution of the work that you are doing...
    Len, there was never an older version of this head.
    There were two heads one for a drop in 77mm top plate and the other for a 90mm one. These were tan colored and made for Kardan cameras. They would tilt forward but not 15° side to side.

But I do agree, it looks like a very nice head that he is making!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Len, there was never an older version of this head.
    There were two heads one for a drop in 77mm top plate and the other for a 90mm one. These were tan colored and made for Kardan cameras. They would tilt forward but not 15° side to side.

But I do agree, it looks like a very nice head that he is making!
    Bob,

I did not realise they changed the specification to allow the 15 degree side tilt. Thank you for the correction.

For the record, I have the one with the 90mm top plate and indeed Kardan is part of the designation on the tan body.

Best regards,

Len

That Linhof design does look pretty amazing, particularly the leveling function. Might have to try something like that as well. Thanks fellas.