Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tripod Head DIY

Tripod Head DIY

I haven't found a head that I like yet, there's quite a few out there which would work but none had the combination of weight, cost and sturdiness that I was looking for. So, like the dumbass that my mother always knew me to be, I've started designing my own. It's super simple, all aluminum and should weigh around 3lbs. The main joint will have four nylon washers with adjustable tension placed on them to induce drag. The bottom bolt will clamp four composite washers to the side parts which, fingers crossed, will be able to hold my 16x20 camera and lens which weighs 40lbs and is 4' long.

I've got most of the parts water jet cut, still waiting on the main bottom piece but figured I'd share if anyone has any input on what could make this better. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TopplateCut v8.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	182993

Re: Tripod Head DIY

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TripodHeadV3 v6 v8.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	182994

Looks like the pivot shaft may make tightening the camera bolt difficult / fiddly. I don't see any reason not to just use shoulder screws on both sides and leave the middle clear.
    Otherwise? NICE !
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

Ok, I like the look. But you only have a single axis up-down. How do you level the camera?
    Expert in non-working solutions.

Thanks Tracy,

There's at least an inch of clearance between the top plate and the center shaft which should be enough for the 3/8 bolt and a sizable locking nut. I had thought of leaving that center tube out but then I'd need to tighten each side individually. With the center in there tightening either side will clamp the opposite side as well. Same with the bottom clamping bolt.

The tripod mount is the pain in the ass at the moment, getting parts milled is so bloody expensive, even for something this simple. Been tossing around the idea of using flat stock and welding a 1.75" ID tube between them instead of machining out of billet but I think that may cause too much flex.

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-10-04 at 2.41.22 PM.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	182995

Bottom view

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-10-04 at 2.41.45 PM.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	182996

Looks nice. If it were me i would want wider knobs for a bigger finger hold.
    --- Steve from Missouri ---

A long (14 inch) handle attached to the pivot would help with say a 30 degree angle (up or down) with a 40 pound camera sitting on top. The stresses on the base would be significant with this scenario. A SST or carbon steel shaft would be nessessary to mount the head on.

With big cameras, I prefer two screws that can be slid into a slot. That way, the camera cannot spin on the head, and it's fast to mount the camera.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Thanks for the input.

Steve I'll probably put bigger knobs on it, these were just leftover from the camera build so will try them first.
    David the camera is heavy but balanced on the head so the stress on the tripod shaft is pretty manageable. I've been using a Sampson tripod which has a 1.75" aluminum shaft and I think something else is going to break before that does.
    Peter I've got two 5/16" posts which will come up out of the head plate and mate with two holes in the base of the camera to keep things from spinning and hold it in place while I fasten the bolt. I do like the slotted idea though, maybe for next version.