Thread: Interesting video on making tintypes

Interesting video on making tintypes

Hi everyone, I found an interesting video on photographer Rob Kendrick and how he goes about making tintypes of cowboys in Texas. It looks like he uses a Deardorff to shoot the image, and he processes them in a darkroom set up inside a trailer attached to his pickup truck. Interesting video, and the really nice photos he shot can be found on the site as well.

The link is at http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/video/2005/09/20/VI2005092000922.html

Fascinating. Thanks for sharing the link. I am truly impressed.

On a side note I wanted to point out something totally unrelated to the story. It seems that every now and then the proof reading skills at a certain magazine most of us enjoy are brought up. I thought it might be worth mentioning that if a newspaper like the Washington Post can have about 4 errors with one paragraph and the video caption we might want to cut somebody else some slack.

I'm not trying to stir things up, I just found the video intriguing and the proofing of the copy interesting.

Mark Carney

The latest issue of ViewCamera has an article on Kendrick.

Thanks, I really enjoyed the video and seeing how the tintype process works. Next time I'm sitting on a bathroom floor at night in a motel somewhere complaining about what a pain unloading and loading film holders is, I'll try to remember that it could be a lot worse, I could be working on tintypes at midnight.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

You guys are welcome, I thought it was kind of neat. I agree with you, Brian, all I could think of while watching the tintype process was how labor intensive it is even compared to regular LF darkroom work.

Hi Dan,
    you make a good point but this video I posted the link to is from the Washington Post and was only recently published there a couple of days ago, while the other you mention was more than a year ago in summer 2004.

"I could be working on tintypes at midnight."

No, Brian, not very likely -- since you have to coat, sensitize, expose, and process within a short window of time before the solvents evaporate and the collodion hardens, and the stuff is terribly slow (did you notice four second exposures in direct sun?), I'd be rather surprised if you were working at midnight (and even more surprised if uncorking ether in a hotel room in the middle of the night didn't result in the police pounding on your door, to see if perhaps you're cooking meth).
    If a contact print at arm's length is too small to see, you need a bigger camera. :D