Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on composition, learning from Ansel Adams

Re: Thoughts on composition, learning from Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    Pere; depth is one of the reasons I like LF; the old lenses make smooth backgrounds in low depth of field situations. Starting in the 50's perhaps, the shutters ended up with fewer blades and smooth backgrounds went away probably with people shooting f64 style. LF also lets me design intentional layers into a photo so as to have primary and secondary subjects and make use of the space on the film: https://flic.kr/p/eXAjZp https://flic.kr/p/RE5k6Z
    I'm also convinced that working with things like a IR DSLR where you have zero depth/distance illusion from haze is a good challenge in learning other ways of showing 3d in outdoor photos.
    Jason, of course, managing DOF/OOF/Focus_Roll-off it's also a powerful tool to show depth !! I missed that when enumerating factors that may contribute to depth.

This famous video starring John Sexton is quite interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsL49FUV8r4

I think that I whatched it a dozen of times... It's an excellent guide for any LF photographer.

Drew Wiley

Nearly everything in the dictionary was at one time or another a "neologism". The more, the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Nearly everything in the dictionary was at one time or another a "neologism". The more, the better.
    We disagree on both points.

I never dealt with the word "neologism" until I started evaluating mental disorders for Social Security Disability. A wholly different interpretation, obviously.

Drew Wiley

Understandable, since filling out either Govt or any kind of insurance paperwork generally involves more reading than the entire Dictionary, and includes lotsa words not found even there, basically neosyloggistic deceptivisms, fortunately in super-fine print so Jac won't spot em !

Best line I ever heard and it is the very first thought I think about as the camera is being mounted to the tripod. “We photographers are charged with capturing a 3 Dinensional world and presenting it a 2 Dimensional Medium”. Dean Collins.

Real photographs are born wet !

www.PowerOfProcessTips.com

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sherman View Post
    Best line I ever heard and it is the very first thought I think about as the camera is being mounted to the tripod. “We photographers are charged with capturing a 3 Dinensional world and presenting it a 2 Dimensional Medium”. Dean Collins.
    My greatest hope and dream is to one day have people look at my images and realize in a burst of inspiration, "oh, so that's what that three-dimensional scene looks like in two dimensions..."
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    My greatest hope and dream is to one day have people look at my images and realize in a burst of inspiration, "oh, so that's what that three-dimensional scene looks like in two dimensions..."
    Writing and talking about photography on a computer is relatively easy, bringing prints to life is quite another. If your interest is truly gaining inspiration why not make, prepare and present live prints to a group of other visual artists interested in furthering Content and Concept here: https://www.photoartsxchange.com

Real photographs are born wet !

www.PowerOfProcessTips.com

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Understandable, since filling out either Govt or any kind of insurance paperwork generally involves more reading than the entire Dictionary, and includes lotsa words not found even there, basically neosyloggistic deceptivisms, fortunately in super-fine print so Jac won't spot em !
    I sometimes read with surgeons magnifying glasses, and if in the presence of lawyers I'll also wear surgical mask and gloves. Can't be too careful around those people.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sherman View Post
    That's why I often view the scene with one eye closed -- so that my brain no longer creates a 3-D image of the scene in front of me (for the first 60 or so feet, anyway) and I can experience the scene in a way the viewer will.

Edited to add -- my carbon prints have a raised relief, so one could consider them 3-D.
    Last edited by Vaughn; 19-Sep-2018 at 12:10.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China