Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question on DeVere 504 master negative carriers

Question on DeVere 504 master negative carriers

I was given a DeVere 504 chassis and MKIV dichro head. I've managed to track down all of the other parts that I need except for a master negative carrier. My chassis has the built in masking blades. The only 504 master negative carrier I've been able to find is the one that has the masking blades built into the carrier. Will the masking carrier work with a masking chassis or do I need the other carrier? Thanks in advance for your help.

Re: Question on DeVere 504 master negative carriers

No, wait for the right one to come along. You can use two sheets of glass with a hinge, or make a mask cut out from mat board on top and glass on the bottom until then. You don't need the one with masking blades, nor am I sure it would fit. Check with Second Hand Darkroom in the UK or with KHB Photografix in Canada. One of them will have the right one, and I believe KHB has a used one for ca$276.00. You can get the glass from them, or from Focal Point in the auction site. Good Luck

L

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    No, wait for the right one to come along. You can use two sheets of glass with a hinge, or make a mask cut out from mat board on top and glass on the bottom until then. You don't need the one with masking blades, nor am I sure it would fit. Check with Second Hand Darkroom in the UK or with KHB Photografix in Canada. One of them will have the right one.

L
    Thanks for chiming in L. I had ordered one from KHB, but turns out it wasn't in stock after all. Thankfully they had the other parts I needed. I checked SHD just before posting this thread and they only had the masking carrier in stock. I did send them an email though just to see if maybe they had one that wasn't listed.

There's a thicker, older one, which I prefer, and a newer one that's hinged with nylon. If you make longer 1/4" posts, the ones that raise the head to insert the carrier, you can use the old carrier on a newer 504. That's what I do. I have both carriers, but I prefer the older one.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    There's a thicker, older one, which I prefer, and a newer one that's hinged with nylon. If you make longer 1/4" posts, the ones that raise the head to insert the carrier, you can use the old carrier on a newer 504. That's what I do. I have both carriers, but I prefer the older one.
    Thank you Peter. I haven't fully broken down the enlarger yet, so just to clarify, are these the pins you are referring to?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5031.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	182029

Yes
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Yes
    Thanks Peter. I'll see what SHD has to say about availability and, if not, will give your suggestion a go.

The current thinner ones work just fine. I'd use whatever SHD has in stock and suggests. L

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    The current thinner ones work just fine. I'd use whatever SHD has in stock and suggests. L
    Thanks L. Hopefully I'll get some good news from them. I also found another potential source last night and am waiting to hear from them.

Either master carrier is ok. I prefer the older metal hinged one, as I can set it down and leave the top open, with the back resting against something. If worse comes to worse, I _may_ have a spare master carrier.