Thread: Linhof Multifocus optical viewfinder

Linhof Multifocus optical viewfinder

I am strongly considering a purchase of this unique Linhof product. I plan to use it as a viewfinder on a homebrew MF camera that uses different fl lenses, as well as using it as an easy method to easily compose a scene and know what fl lens to use. Although it appears big, it's still smaller than a 35mm camera to use for composure. Any feedback on the "look" through the viewfinder? I assume at this price, it must be a real optical masterpiece....? TYIA

Yes Bill, this is a very nice bit of gear for use on top of the camera and as a "Director's" lens to simply compose the shot without unpacking or setting up the whole box of tricks. Its size is about 3 x 3.5 inches so it is quite small and fits in the palm of the hand easily. Front lens can be rotated for portrait format too.
    I have two of them actually if you want one. I bought one for my Technika and the next day, someone gave me one! Frustrating.
    All the best
    Col

As I'm sure you know, there are two different versions (and even more sub-versions) of this device. With the older version you slide the finder back and forth to change focal lengths, with the newer version (which actually isn't all that new, something like 20 years old) you rotate the circular front to do the same thing. I bought the newer version for the purpose you describe and didn't like it at all for that purpose. When I held it up to my eye with one hand it forced the other hand and arm into a very awkward postion to rotate the finder. I also never found an ideal way to carry it around though there must be one. As an aid in selecting a lens once I the had a rough idea of the composition and the camera was all set up it worked fine but that's not the way you (or I) want to use it. I used mine for about three months and then sold it. I've never owned the older version but I've played around with one in a store and it seemed like it would be easier to use for the purpose you describe. It also sells for considerably less than the newer version.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Understand that the Linhof optical finder, at least the first style, makes the image smaller to show the frame for longer lenses, so it is not at all like using a zoom lens on a camera. In fact, the image for 360mm is tiny.

I've suggested before that one consider the good Linhof wire-frame finder that accomodates a few lenses. People anticipate that it will be problematic, or crude, but it is not.

By the way, after you use a separate finder for a while, you will probably find that you no longer need it. Your eye will train to anticipate the frame.

Also, some extend down to 75mm, while others only extend to 90mm. Both extend to 360 in the other direction. I believe that some can show 6x9 or 6x7 formats as well.

Be wary of recent EBay auctions for a Linhof (style) viewfinder for lenses 58mm through 150mm of the type to which Brian refers. (With the circular dial.) Lousy optics and definitely not Linhof.

"Also, some extend down to 75mm, while others only extend to 90mm. Both extend to 360 in the other direction. I believe that some can show 6x9 or 6x7 formats as well."

The current zoom finders go from 75mm to 360mm.

The finder comes with a rotating 4x5 mask. Available as accessories are other format masks. These have included 6x6cm, 6x7cm, 6x9cm, 6x12cm (Linhof 612 not the others), 9x12cm and Polaroid. These masks do not fit the earlier non-zoom versions.

Some of the older versions that stopped at 90mm accepted an accessory 75mm adapter lens.

Not all of the masks listed above are still made.

The same finder as currently made for 45 is also available for 6x9cm but is indexed for a different range of lenses. This finder was also made for the 57 Technika and special versions were made for the 45 Aero Technika as well as custom ones for other companies like Wilde for their photogrammetric 45 camera.

Have used it only for LF photography where, being a newbie, I find it immensely helpful. Would never leave home without it. I find the old version works quite well (after all it's for estimation, not photographing through) and is considerably less expensive than the beautiful new model. If you decide on an old one from that auction site, shop carefully; there are many old versions in poor condition.