Hi all,

I know there are several threads here discussing these things, but Im still curious on the practicalities of in-/decreasing scanner resolution.

I just got hold of a ScanMate F8+ with the ColorQuartet software (which, when scanning 8x10" positives, is so much more convenient than the Epsons). But, in the scanner specifications it says that there is up to a maximum of 4000 dpi optical resolution (11000 interpolated). However, when I set it at 4000 in the ColorQuartet software I get a warning that it is now being interpolated... and I have to reduce the resolution to 1000dpi to not get the interpolation warning... as I understand this that means that the optical resolution is 'just' 1000dpi.

Now, I know that a lot of people say that you will set resolution or whatever for the use you intend... But I dont really know that yet so I just want the quality to be as good as possible (Im not really that concerned about big files).

I don't get why the software says the resolution is interpolated above 1000dpi when the scanner is supposed to do 4000dpi... but my concern is... What do I loose? How much larger can one print with 4000 compared to 1000? How much more can you crop? I scan 8x10" sheet film and 120 roll film.

Cheers
Peter