Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tripod questions, chamonix 045N-2, hiking

Re: Tripod questions, chamonix 045N-2, hiking

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    I took the center column out of my Feisol 3441T--it's tall enough I just didn't need it. Camera is at eye level without it. tripod came with an insert (about an inch high) that has a mounting plate on it. I've never used the center column. Tripod folds up to fits in even my small carry-on bag.

Kent in SD
    Thanks, i didn't know that's possible. But then, essentially, you are left with what really does seem almost identical to the CT 3401 set of legs - at least when I look at the specifications at their european website. Buing the thing without the column in the first place would save me practically 50% of the price.. Strange indeed..
    Website of sorts, as well as flickr thing.

I can not provide advice on tripod legs since I will also be looking for lighter legs. However I can suggest two alternatives for lighter weight heads plus one unconventional head, and a light way of stabilizing a tripod.

I use an Acratech GP-ss model with the Arca-Swiss compatible clamp, double speed knob locking. This weighs only 380 grams, max load 24 lbs or 11.4 Kg, and has the unusual feature (along with some other Acratech ball heads) of being able to mount it inverted so that the ball-head also becomes a leveling head. If you also shoot smaller formats this head can function as a type of gimbal head if you occasionally need one for birds-in-flight, sports, etc.

The only other ball head I know of using an inverted ball design (and thus self-leveling) are the Arca-Swiss Monoball p0 head models. This is also light at 400 grams and has plenty of load capacity, 44.1 lbs or 20 Kg. Both heads are priced similarly.

If you shoot panoramas with smaller formats, the leveling capability plus the panning part of the head at the top make these attractive, light, heads for panoramas. You might calculate how much weight saved per dollar buying one of these heads vs a lighter tripod.

The third head possibility is less expensive and not one I would have even considered until I saw Henry Hudson's videos (video1, video2) on why he likes it, a Manfrotto MVH500AH Fluid Head with Flat Base. $120, weighs 900 grams, max load 11 lb or 5 Kg. Normally these are for videography but this particular fluid head can make for a good still photography head. His website blog provides additional details. He abandoned using an Arca-Swiss ballhead for the fluid heads.

Finally, one additional way to stabilize a tripod is an elastic bungee (shock) cord to the tripod's weight hook. The elastic cord is then tied to a non-elastic line with a loop. You stretch the cord and hold it on the ground with the loop around your foot. Make the loop adjustable by making by forming the loop using a taught-line hitch (also known as a rolling hitch) to allow adjusting the length.

Drew Wiley

Center columns are just one more source of voodoo vibration when in comes to large format usage. So subtract their added height from any realistic height expectations. It's kinda like expecting something for nothing when it comes to tripod weight and cost. Toy tripods might be OK for little toy cameras.

For hiking / traveling I use a Benro C0180T Travel Flat Tripod for my 4x5 with a RSS BH25. Very light weight and does the job passably. Sadly they don't make it anymore. It's not my go to if I can afford to carry more weight - I have a RSS tripod that I use with 8x10 and up with various larger heads that is quite a bit more stable and more mass.

in my earlier reply at the end I realize what I was thinking of was not a leveling base but a Burzynski ball head.

http://www.naturfotograf.com/burzynski.html

Anyone on here currently using one of those with their box camera?

sounds like finding one now is likely difficult...

Quote Originally Posted by Chester McCheeserton View Post
    in my earlier reply at the end I realize what I was thinking of was not a leveling base but a Burzynski ball head.

http://www.naturfotograf.com/burzynski.html

Anyone on here currently using one of those with their box camera?

sounds like finding one now is likely difficult...
    We used to be the distributor in the USA for them. Most were sold to Ken Hansen in NYC. You are right, they will be hard to find!

Thanks Bob.
    I guess they are not that light either. Another unicorn to add to the gear I'm missing that in my head prevents me from making great photographs.

Quote Originally Posted by Chester McCheeserton View Post
    Thanks Bob.
    I guess they are not that light either. Another unicorn to add to the gear I'm missing that in my head prevents me from making great photographs.
    No, they were not all that light.

Take a look at good 3-leveling heads like Linhof’s and good leveling balls like Novoflex and Linhof’s.

Or tripods with leveling heads or leveling columns like the Berelbach Report.

Les

Wow, this time I totally agree with Drew about the center column introducing vibration = instability.

Overall, I'd look at your (OP) priorities and try to find proper overall balance. Getting solid support is a bit of a unicorn. There are so many parts to the equation: height of the person, solidly build tripod, excellent ball head, price, its size when folded + some more.

First, I have no idea why one would even consider a tripod (Gitzo or any) with a center column. Granted, they may be lighter, but *much like the 055* tend to introduce questionable stability. Sure, the equation might be different when one uses lighter rig such as SLR/DSLR/Mirrorless.

It's less relevant what I use. I happen to like Z1 ballhead, but there are several respectable companies such as FLM, Markins, RRS, Novoflex and few others that make excellent items. Much like the tripod, one has to look at the quality, what it can support, what weight does it add to the overall package (camera accessories, food/drinks, lenses, film holders), bla bla bla.

I was looking for a *lighter* weight tripod and if it would not fit my frame (tall) or unable to fit into my duffle bag suitcase...for travel, I may have had to look elsewhere. It's all relative and so is the price.

Anyhoo, one has to determine own equilibrium on this subject.

Les

Quote Originally Posted by Leszek Vogt View Post
    I was looking for a *lighter* weight tripod and if it would not fit my frame (tall) or unable to fit into my duffle bag suitcase...for travel, I may have had to look elsewhere. It's all relative and so is the price.

Les
    So what did you find /choose in the end? I'm curious because I'm somewhat struggling to find a set of legs reasonably small when folded yet reasonably tall for my six ft three in...

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk
    Website of sorts, as well as flickr thing.