Quote Originally Posted by Ben Horne View Post
There are lots of different ways to learn. "Doing something" is one way to learn, but so is going to a gallery and looking at some beautiful prints in person. We learn and draw inspiration from everything around us, and use that to further our own creative pursuits. You mention that you learn every time you put the camera on a tripod — but have you ever been inspired by — and learned from other art forms? Perhaps viewing an art exhibit of paintings would inspire you to take a somewhat different approach on your next photo? Maybe it would influence your lighting, or your choice of subject? We absorb information and inspiration from world around us. The more we experience, the more we learn. It seems you have made up your mind that the ONLY way to learn is by doing something, but if you limit yourself to ONLY that, how much can you ever actually learn? I am not trying to teach technique with the videos. Instead, I tell the story of finding subjects, what attracted me to them, and why I setup the compositions that I did. That is the sort of information I love to hear from pother photographers – the thought process behind a particular photo.
take a workshop with Michael Smith and Paula Chamlee and your viewfinder will grow exponentially....