Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Inspiration and Youtube

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Marco Fantin

Inspiration and Youtube

Hello,

I recently started a Youtube channel to describe my experience of starting with large format landscape photography.

Clearly I know the Ben Horne's channel, which has been of great inspiration for me. Does anybody know other good sources in Youtube or other valuable resources?

Thanks

____
    SOCIAL MEDIA
    - Youtube
    - Instagram
    Last edited by marcookie; 11-Aug-2018 at 14:22.

Re: Inspiration and Youtube

Quote Originally Posted by marcookie View Post
    Hello,

I recently started a Youtube channel to describe my experience of starting with large format landscape photography.

Clearly I know the Ben Horne's channel, which has been of great inspiration for me. Does anybody know other good sources in Youtube or other valuable resources?

Thanks

____
    SOCIAL MEDIA
    - Youtube
    - Instagram
    You don't learn large format through a video. You learn by hands on experience...Ben Horne videos are for arm chair photographers who never leave home. I could teach you more on 2 days about l.f. than you could learn in 5 years...no one seems to be willing to shell out the cash to learn. But YouTube videos are free..right??

Quote Originally Posted by peter schrager View Post
    You don't learn large format through a video. You learn by hands on experience...Ben Horne videos are for arm chair photographers who never leave home. I could teach you more on 2 days about l.f. than you could learn in 5 years...no one seems to be willing to shell out the cash to learn. But YouTube videos are free..right??
    The more interest generated in LF the more people willing to take the bait and run with it. The more cameras and film bought, the more of a market there will be for cameras and film and the more cameras and film will be manufactured.
    That's a good thing!
    I can't begrudge anyone finding inspiration from Youtubes even though it isn't hands on.
    Finding inspiration should be encouraged, not discouraged.
    Then go out and buy yourself a view camera and some film
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    The more interest generated in LF the more people willing to take the bait and run with it. The more cameras and film bought, the more of a market there will be for cameras and film and the more cameras and film will be manufactured.
    That's a good thing!
    I can't begrudge anyone finding inspiration from Youtubes even though it isn't hands on.
    Finding inspiration should be encouraged, not discouraged.
    Then go out and buy yourself a view camera and some film

I absolutely agree with you on that. It's great if more interest is generated. YouTube videos might just be the first step, which could lead to try it hands on.

you don't learn large format through a video. You learn by hands on experience...ben horne videos are for arm chair photographers who never leave home. I could teach you more on 2 days about l.f. Than you could learn in 5 years...no one seems to be willing to shell out the cash to learn. But youtube videos are free..right??
    amen!

Peter, there is plenty of free instruction out there, but if you want to learn from a professional, you'll have to pay for it.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Marco Fantin

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Peter, there is plenty of free instruction out there, but if you want to learn from a professional, you'll have to pay for it.
    Does anyone have first hand experience from a workshop?

I am generally a self-taught, I think it would be strange for me
    My Youtube Channel - Darkroom and large format tutorials

Quote Originally Posted by marcookie View Post
    Does anyone have first hand experience from a workshop?

I am generally a self-taught, I think it would be strange for me
    I'm mostly self taught using online things, but have participated in workshops... Soft focus lenses, photographing children, ambrotypes.. Tillman Crane and MMW+C.

Workshops are great for:
    things hand-on where personal training saves much trial and error. alt process for example.
    things with high BS factor and misunderstandings where you need to try things - soft focus workshop.
    making personal connections with instructors so that as you follow through with what you learned a support option is available.