Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scales for weighing dry chems?

Scales for weighing dry chems?

I've decided to try mixing some special developer using dry chemicals by weight, but I don't own suitable scales. Could someone guide me to a source for scales that won't slice up my film budget too badly?

Thanks

Try searching for "Ohaus" on Ebay. Good scales. Lots of them around so they're not real expensive. The triple beam scales work great, and go to around 2.2kg max as I recall. Some others only go to around 300 gms. Just make sure the scales will cover the weight range you need.

Depending how much you need to weigh, Ohaus, RCBS and, IIRC, Lee also sell powder scales for reloading that will work very well for mixing chemicals; I have one I've had for about 20 years that will divide a gram into 154 equal parts (that is, it weighs to 1/10 grain), and will accommodate up to 500 grains, about 36 grams (there are models that will accept more weight, but they're rare; 500 grains is enough powder for an elephant gun). If you're making a liter of D-76, you'll have to weigh the sulfite in three increments -- but these scales sell, new, for well under $50; you might get one for $20 (or fifty cents at a yard sale, occasionally). Triple beam balances are great, but they're generally more expensive, and more delicate than a reloading scale, and won't do any better job within the smaller range.
    If a contact print at arm's length is too small to see, you need a bigger camera. :D

Donald, would you mind specifying the brand name and model number of the scales you are describing. Sounds like this is exactly what I need. Thanks.

I have a real nice postal balance beam scale I bought at the local office supply store in 1975. Seems very accurate. Probably worth about 25 cents at a tag sale these days.

But as I have never mixed my own chemicals, I have no idea of the weights involved. This unit is probably calculated in 1/2 ounces up to three pounds or so. That may be too heavy or too coarse for photography.

I bought an Ohous CS 200. I don't remember where I got it, but it's quite nice, and runs on a simple battery. It's great.

Carl Weese told me he uses paper cupcake cups to hold the powder while measuring... great idea !

A quick Google search reveals a description and price here: http://www.discountscales.com/specs/ohaus/csspecs.htm.

If you get one, be sure to remove the inner collar that protects the unit during shipping. I thought I got a lemon until I figured that one out.

If you go to Ebay various sellers have gem scales. They are intended to weigh gems etc. They are cheap. Depending on the seller can be less then $20 but you know how Ebay goes. The only downside is they are limited to something like 250gram at most. Mine is limited to 100grams IIRC.

If you combine one of these with a cheap kitchen scale for the heavy stuff. You'll be all set. Heavy stuff doesn't need high accuracy. 1000 grams isn't much different from 995 grams. OTOH if you're weighing 1 gram you don't want 6 grams.

Lots of good prices at www.balances.com.

I have a small Toyo 250 pocket scale. It's very compact and has a capacity of 250 grams, which is enough for most developers. If you're going to mix your own fixer, then you'll want a scale with a capacity of at least 500 grams. If I need to measure more than 250 g occasionally, then I measure in two batches.

For small amounts, I just measure the chemical out onto a small slip of paper. For larger amounts, I use a plastic or paper drinking cup that I can discard afterward.

The Ohaus, RCBS, Lee are the brand names. Go to any good guns & ammo store. These scales are very accurate. They have to be or you will blow yourself up. That's bad for business.

The cupcake papers are a great idea! I use basket coffee filters for the bigger amounts.
    I have an Ohaus that was free. It works great.
    Matt