Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Alternative Center Filters for Rodenstock 75/4.5 Grandagon N?

Re: Alternative Center Filters for Rodenstock 75/4.5 Grandagon N?

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    Having done some tests, I decided to purchase a Rodenstock 67/86 0.45ND centre filter for the lens.

I want to be able to use a Lee100 filter holder and Lee square 100mm x 100mm filters with the centre filter, so I've ordered an 86mm adapter ring.
    You might want to consider a Lee slip-on filter holder which would fit over the centre filter rather than into the front thread, much less risk of vignetting.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Darragh View Post
    You might want to consider a Lee slip-on filter holder which would fit over the centre filter rather than into the front thread, much less risk of vignetting.
    Thanks. If you're talking about the Lee Push-On holder, my understanding is that Lee no longer makes it. I'd be delighted to learn otherwise, but in any event second-hand is an option.

My preference is to use the Lee100 holder, and I'll find out when the adapter ring arrives whether there is, or isn't, a vignetting issue. Unfortunately, neither Lee nor Filter Dude make an 86mm wide angle adapter ring, only a standard ring.
    Last edited by r.e.; 28-Aug-2021 at 02:44.

I'm not sure about availability in the US but they appear to be available in the UK. I have occasionally seen them at a fraction of the new cost second-hand.

https://www.linhofstudio.com/product...Push_on_Holder

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Darragh View Post
    I'm not sure about availability in the US but they appear to be available in the UK. I have occasionally seen them at a fraction of the new cost second-hand.

https://www.linhofstudio.com/product...Push_on_Holder
    Thanks. In the U.S., that's shown as "Discontinued". However, I just found it on the Lee Filters site, not under "Holders" but under "Accessories". If I wanted one, it would be easy enough to order it from Linhof Studio or Robert White.

I'll see how it goes with the Lee100 holder. The push-on isn't cheap, and affixing it to this lens is an issue in itself, no doubt also requiring an adapter of some kind. The Lee100 holder, which I already have, is a simpler and less costly solution. If it vignettes, the best solution may be the screw-in filter option that I talked about in post #58.

This screen shot is from Robert White:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2021-08-27 at 7.35.28 PM.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	219075
    Last edited by r.e.; 28-Aug-2021 at 02:42.

Further to Mark Darragh's posts above about Lee's Push-On Holder, I've now measured the outside diameter of Rodenstock's 67/86 centre filter. It's 90mm. This means that the Push-On holder could be used if one adds Lee's 100mm to 90mm donut adapter. Here are ex-VAT prices from Robert White (see the screen capture in the previous post):

Lee 100mm Push-On Filter Holder: £92.91
    Lee 100mm-90mm Donut Adapter: £32.00
    Total: £124.91 ex-VAT

That is currently about US$172.00, plus shipping. As Mark says, one might be able to purchase these components for quite a bit less second-hand.

I'll also be considering screw-in filters (see post #58) if my Lee100 Holder with 86mm adapter ring causes vignetting. Lee and third party vendor Filter Dude, which appears to be located in Pennsylvania, make adapters for wide angle lenses specifically to address this kind of problem, but not in 86mm. I've ordered my adapter from Filter Dude because B&H is out of stock on Lee's 86mm adapter. Filter Dude's adapter is also quite a bit less expensive, and its adapters are said to be well-made.

Anyway, when I get the adapter ring I'll write a post on whether using the Lee100 Holder results in vignetting.

A couple of general comments on Robert White and Lee Filters... Robert White's pricing on Lee Filters products is very competitive, better than U.S. prices and other U.K. prices that I've seen. Located in Poole about 50mi/80km from Lee Filters, it can probably get any components that aren't in stock fairly quickly. I think that Lee itself has very good customer service. On a few occasions, I've e-mailed questions to Lee from the U.S. and received fairly fast responses during U.S. business hours. Lee is owned by Panavision, and my impression is that questions from the U.S. and Canada are being answered from Panavision's office in Burbank.
    Last edited by r.e.; 29-Aug-2021 at 18:53.

These two photos show how the Rodenstock 67/86 centre filter was packaged as I received it.

The plastic box in the first photo is a bit over 170mm (6.7") square. The centre filter can be nestled in the brown Rodenstock lens cap for greater protection.

The pamphlet in the second photo fits in the box. It is undated, but it refers to the 1994 Photokina so was published sometime after. Running five pages in English, it says that this "new" version of the filter was introduced at the 1994 event. The pamphlet compares the performance of the "new" filter to the "old" one, and to two centre filters made by other, unnamed manufacturers. It's a marketing document, but it contains useful technical information.

Name:	IMG_0887.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	219104

Name:	IMG_0889.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	219105

First photo shows the lens by itself, second with the centre filter. Camera is an Arca-Swiss F-Line, 171mm standards.

I'm looking for a more flexible bellows. The recessed lens board helps, but I feel like I'm fighting the bellows on lens movement. Custom Bellows in the U.K. can make one, but I'd have to find, and send them, a bellows frame, which they don't sell. Another member of the forum is also looking for an Arca-Swiss 171mm bag bellows. Now that France's August holidays are ending, he plans to speak with Arca-Swiss about availability in 171mm. There's a Hong Kong maker of 171mm bag bellows on eBay. The quality may well be good, but I haven't come across any comments on those bellows.

As noted above, I'll post about how well a Lee100 Holder works with this setup when I receive an 86mm adapter ring this coming week.

Rodenstock Grandagon-N f/4.5 75mm

Name:	IMG_0903.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	142.6 KB 
ID:	219118

With Rodenstock 67/86 0.45 ND Centre Filter

Name:	IMG_0905.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	126.8 KB 
ID:	219119
    Last edited by r.e.; 29-Aug-2021 at 06:26.

As an aside, I've become a fan of the red-fringed dark cloth in the photos just above. It's made by Paramo Clothing in the U.K. to a design by Joe Cornish. It would also work with a 6x9 camera. I've yet to see a perfect solution for liquid crystal displays, but I've used this dark cloth successfully with the Blackmagic camera display and external 5" monitor/recorder shown in the photo below.

In July, I wrote a post about this dark cloth, and included a link to Joe Cornish's video showing how it works: Paramo/Joe Cornish Dark Cloth. Online, it's sold by Paramo and by Linhof Studio.

Name:	IMG_0590.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	119.2 KB 
ID:	219154
    Last edited by r.e.; 29-Aug-2021 at 07:51.

I now expect to have an Arca-Swiss 20cm leather bag bellows in addition to a Lee100 86mm adapter ring by about the end of the week. More photos to come.

In case anyone is wondering why I'm documenting this, it's because I would have found some of this information, and photos, useful when I started going down this route a couple of weeks ago. Maybe the next person will too.
    Last edited by r.e.; 2-Sep-2021 at 03:25.

I received an Arca-Swiss F-Line 20cm bag bellows yesterday. Having tried the standard 38cm accordion bellows with a recessed lens board (post #67), I think that the bag bellows is an essential accessory for this lens if one wants to use lens movements. The bag bellows significantly expands the range of movement and makes adjustments easier. There isn't a chance that I'd get the amount of rise in the photos below out of the accordion bellows, and I wasn't even pushing rise to its limit.

Reading forum posts on this bag bellows, it looks like it can be used with lenses up to 210mm without movements and about 180mm with. In my case, this means that I can use this bellows with the Rodenstock Grandagon-N f/4.5 75mm, a Rodenstock APO Sironar-N f/5.6 150mm and, without movements, maybe a Docter Optic f/4.5 210mm. If I didn't need more than about 0.66% magnification, the bellows would also work with my Nikkor AM ED f/5.6 120mm macro lens. My shortest Arca-Swiss rail is the 30cmm rail in the photos below. If I was planning to shoot only with this bellows and the 75mm and/or 150mm, Arca-Swiss's 15cm (6") rail would make the rig a bit more compact.

I also read a few of the many threads on the forum about conditioners for leather bellows. The bellows are in excellent shape and I'll be sparing in use of a conditioner. I already use Vanson Leathers conditioner on a Vanson motorbike jacket and trousers, which should work fine. However, I also ordered something called Apple Brand Leather Cleaner and Conditioner. This stuff is popular with owners of high end leather products, and is apparently recommended by retailers of Louis Vuitton leather goods. I got a kick out of a YouTube video by a guy who uses saddle soap to clean Louis Vuitton leather because he lives in Montana and his family has horses, followed by this Apple conditioner. I'll have a look at what's in the Apple bottles when they arrive later today.

When I receive Filter Dude's 86mm adapter ring for my Lee100 Holder, I'll test the Lee/centre filter combination for vignetting and post a photo or two. Not impressed with Filter Dude, to which I paid extra for USPS Priority Post, only to have Filter Dude sit on the order that I made last Friday until Wednesday afternoon, and ignore an e-mail that I sent enquiring about my order's status. USPS says that the adapter will arrive in New York from Pennsylvania on Saturday.

Hard on the heels of Hurricane Henri (posts #51-54), the remnants of Hurricane Ida visited NY last night. The National Weather Service Flash Flood Warning went off on my phone three times. On the way out to our co-op's courtyard this morning to take these photos, I discovered the super and porters dealing with a good bit of water in the building's basement.

Arca-Swiss Bag Bellows, Rise, Rodenstock Grandagon-N f/4.5 75mm:

Name:	IMG_0912.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	167.4 KB 
ID:	219278

With the Rodenstock 67/86 0.45 ND Centre Filter:

Name:	IMG_0915.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	162.4 KB 
ID:	219277
    Last edited by r.e.; 2-Sep-2021 at 10:54.