Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What LF camera? Rangefinderviewfield?

What LF camera? Rangefinderviewfield?

Bill, my comments about the Graphic hardly constitute a detailed equipment review. They are merely a very personal opinion based upon years of hands-on professional experience.

I will be delighted to read and carefully consider a differing opinion from you. Perhaps I have been cruel and insensitive.

These cameras have not been manufactured since the 1970's. Thirty years (absolute minimum) of banging around in the trunk of a police cruiser takes its toll on condition. Not to mention all those that (barely) survived WWII.

For this reason, I willingly paid a steep premium when offered a new-in-the-box Crown Graphic from an estate sale fifteen years ago.

The camera I purchased had a dark, coarse ground glass, minimal bellows, poor lens, and a few worthless token movements. Lots of nostalgia but short on versatility.

To quote an old Swedish carpenter from my youth, “My son, cheap tools are like cheap women.”

It kind of comes down to this:
    If you'll be using a tripod, a Technica will give you all the movements you'll probably want.
    If you'll be shooting handheld, you won't be using movements anyway and a Crown is a lighter burden for both wallet and back.
    If "image" is important, get a Hasselblad.
    As John Cook mentioned, condition is important (with either camera since both models have reputations for being well used ---beaten to death---in professional life)

To qoute my Irish lawyer: "The cheaper the woman the more co$tly the alimony"
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Wista and Horseman also make rangefinder models, which can be found used for a reasonable price. If you want to go for a two camera solution then I second the above recomendation for a Sinar F1, they are cheap now used; then a Crown Graphic as a second camera.

And on the third hand, if you like to travel with one camera that does everything, you might prefer the Technika. I shoot it handheld press-camera style as much as I use it on a tripod view-camera style. I use a Tech V, which you might see as a compromise--more than a Graphic, but lots less expensive than a new Master Tech, and not much less functionality.

It's a Linhof Super Technika if it has a rangefinder.
    Just be very careful with which model Super you get.
    Rangefinder cams are critical and depend upon model.
    Get the right ones.

So Mr. Cook gave away his age! Lemmie ask ya, Sonny, what's this about Paris Hilton? Unlike Ms. Hilton, the virtue of the handheld Technika is that there are no tripod legs to spread in public, although the Technika has been know to rip its wrappers off - eventually.

And you and the rest of you, some proper terminology PuhLeez! Linhof Super Technika is the range finder. (oops - showing my age, repeating myself.)

A (perhaps) 0ff the wall suggestion. What about looking for a Graflex Super D 4x5 in good condition on ebay for hand held work, and then just get a good wood-field 4x5 for tripod work (at a price less than a recent Linhof.)? My first large format camera was a 31/4 x 41/4 Graflex. These are somewhat unweildy cameras, but fun to use (a giant single lens reflex) and you're still seeing your image on a ground glass rather than through a viewfinder.

John: I always agree with you and appreciate your postings, until now!

The mental picture you portray of the Crowns is entirely untrue. It's an insult to those who do appreciate the fine Crown/Speed cameras and an embarrassmnent to you...

A lens is not a camera. My focus screens are bright and fine, and I own more than a half dozen. That 'plywood' is Mohogany. Brand new 4x5's are sold today with 'doubl extension bellows', the same as the Crown/Speed. They are finely built workhorse cameras that people have cherished for more than 75 years. And the simple fact that so many have survived, in working condition, the abuse shown them is testement enough to their quality!

I would guarantee, and bet any amount of money, that a Crown would produce a negative as good as any Linhof using the same lens and film!

You are right about it's minimal movements. But few people appreciate the way you put it!

You are also right about 'cheap tools'. Fortunately, the Crown is anything but 'cheap'!

On the bright side, thoughtless and denigrating comments such as yours will only help keep the cost of s Crown down dso more people can buy them and thouroughly enjoy using them!

There are a number of cameras to consider with coupled rangefinder. Only the Technika and Wista are available new in4x5 AFAIK. In the used market there are other choices in addition to those listed. Burke &James made a press camera, MPP a technical camera and there are a number of others. As has already been discussed, all of these will be at least 30 years old so you need to carefully evaluate their condition.

As for the Graphic, while I disagree with John, I do believe that many of us who used them because we had to in the 1950's and 1960's hold them in somewhat lower (but still fond) regard than those who have come to them recently.

Add to the list the venerable Printex 4x5. Stone simple, rangefinder, one lens. No movements, but who uses movements with a hand-held rangefinder? Oh, a little rise? Okay, a little rise. (I don't believe it for a second!)