Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CLA - Flutot's vs SK Grimes????

CLA - Flutot's vs SK Grimes????

I had Carol do a CLA on my Synchro-Compur about 7 months ago...Came back in excellent shape, and it was cheap, cheap, cheap compared to Grimes!

-D

CLA - Flutot's vs SK Grimes????

There is no doubt that Carol's work (at Flutot's) is a bargin and she is a very pleasant person to deal with ( just got my Ilex #5 syncro back from her today). Hey, I like doing business with nice people, it makes a difference to me!

Cheers Carol!

Michael E. Gordon

Re: CLA - Flutot's vs SK Grimes????

Dredging up an old thread, but Flutot's just did some work for me and deserves another mention.

My Wollensak compound shutter needed a bit of work - five aperture blades needed replacing and the speeds were way off - so I sent it to Flutot's Camera Repair. Carol Miller did excellent work and at a bargain price. She was extremely communicative, giving me updates via email (including a jpeg), and ended up getting the job done in a mere fraction of the 4-5 week lead time they quote on their website.

I am very happy with Flutot's service and highly recommend them!
    http://www.flutotscamerarepair.com/

I 'dsend my shutters to Carol Miller for CLAs and repairs since I'm on the West Coast and I don't like sending my equiptment any farther away than I have to. She does a great job at a great price. OTOH I don't think she does machining. If you want to mount a Metrogon into an #5 Ilex, SK Grimes would probably be your best bet.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Carol Miller. If it's something she doesn't do, then Grimes.

Carol Miller for CLA; Grimes for mounting. Seems to be a general agreement to that here. Carol did an excellent job of making an old Ilex #3 and a Betax work for me. But nobody mounts a lens into a shutter like SK Grimes.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Graves
    "... Carol did an excellent job of making an old Ilex #3 and a Betax work for me. But nobody mounts a lens into a shutter like SK Grimes..."
    For mounting lenses, IIRC Carol even recommends Grimes.

So, would everyone agree that, "if I wanted to have a lens mounted in a Copal 3 (it's now mounted in an Ilex #4 shutter) that it's best to send it in to SK Grimes?

Does anyone know if it's a major job to do the mounting from the Ilex #4 to Copal 3 and, if so... has anyone had it done previously? The lens is a 19" Red Dot Artar.

If at all possible, I'd really prefer not to have to send the lens into them just for a quote on the job. But, of course, if I have to...

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

For lens mounting, anyone tried Tim at http://www.lensn2shutter.com ? Any comments? Thanks.

Jason.

grumpy & miserable Joseph O'Neil's Avatar

Okay, here's the real question (for some of us) - is there anybody left in Canada doing this kind of work? I've done business myself with SK Grimes in the past myself, no complaints at all, but arguing with the taxman that a lens comming back across the border was orignally yours, it was just sent for service, even when you have the documentation to back you up, is frankly becomming too much of a PITA.

joe
    eta gosha maaba, aaniish gaa zhiwebiziyin ?