Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: advise on expanding my lens setup

Re: advise on expanding my lens setup

I didnīt made a direct comparison, but I own and use Rodenstck Grandagon N lenses (4,5/65, 4,5/75, 4,5/90 and 6,8/115) and Iīm not sure I could tell the difference with Fujinon W 8/105 in terms of sharpness, contrast, color balance, distortion or CAīs in a 4x5 color trasparency enlarged to 20x24". This lens simply met my standards.

the Fujinon 5,6/180 has just a bit less "punch" that my Apo Sironar S lenses (150 and 210), but has a 280 mm image circle that can be used to shot 5x7, and I think I could not tell it from a Sironar N. On top of all these reasons, this Fujinon lens is very cheap compared to the rest of the "Big Four" similar offerings, and this makes that lens superb in my user opinion.

Of course an Apo Sironar S lens is better, but costs used around 4 -5 times more, but itīs not 4-5 times better. Our fellow Havoc has a limited budget and heīs akready a Fujinon user.
    Last edited by hiend61; 4-Jun-2018 at 10:17. Reason: Ortography

Quote Originally Posted by hiend61 View Post
    I didnīt made a direct comparison, but I own and use Rodenstck Grandagon N lenses (4,5/65, 4,5/75, 4,5/90 and 6,8/115) and Iīm not sure I could tell the difference with Fujinon W 8/105 in terms of sharpness, contrast, color balance, distortion or CAīs in a 4x5 color trasparency enlarged to 20x24". This lens simply met my standards.

the Fujinon 5,6/180 has just a bit less "punch" that my Apo Sironar S lenses (150 and 210), but has a 280 mm image circle that can be used to shot 5x7, and I think I could not tell it from a Sironar N. On top of all these reasons, this Fujinon lens is very cheap compared to the rest of the "Big Four" similar offerings, and this makes that lens superb in my user opinion.

Of course an Apo Sironar S lens is better, but costs used around 4 -5 times more, but itīs not 4-5 times better. Our fellow Havoc has a limited budget and heīs akready a Fujinon user.
    Your S lenses also cover 57!

OK, thanks for all your toughts and opinions, they are really helpfull.

So the option of adding the SWD 90/5.6 wins out. I'm very happy with the SWD 75 so there is no doubt that the 90 will be just as pleasing. Honestly, I'm not that good a photographer so anything more costly is probably wasted on me.

At the same time I'll stay with the Symmar 180. Already got a good lead on replacing the shutter for a price I cannot send it to a repair service and get a quote. So if I can get it running that will be great. The couple of shots I did with it where great but with the overcast weather that we so often have, not having the slow speeds is a problem.

Other things:
    - yes, Brugge is great but just try to take a photo there! The place is swamped by tourists the year round. We don't have any countryside left and the little bit that is still there is being covered with wind turbines. I just hate those things, don't get me started...
    - I do not doubt there are possible repair centers in the EU, but I contacted a few and they only do digital these days or don't do that kind of work. One I have send a Linhoff 220 and I had nothing but trouble with (came back with a different fault than when it left but still doens't work). I searched for the Ghent one, but didn't find much. Holland might be a possibility, found one, waiting for reply.
    - I like the option to keep the Symmar 180 as from what I understood it is a nice one for portraits when used at 315. I have an inborn fear of portraits but one day... So having something that might work at hand is a good feeling.

Again, thanks for your help.
    Expert in non-working solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Your S lenses also cover 57!
    Yes I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Bruge is ugly?

If you like the 105mm focal length, there's also the Fuji 105mm f8 SW. It covers 4x5 with movement.

Fujinon 105mm f8 NSW (or SW, older version) covers 5x7 with a image circle of 250mm. Originally found on the Fujinon 6x17 camera.

Bernice

Belgium is an ugly country? On the contrary. Have you been to Antwerp, Brugge, or Blankenberge? Not to mention Brussels and Tournai. Arguably, Belgium is one of the most history-filled countries in the western part of Europe within the former Frankish realm.

Regarding shutter repair, there certainly must be services available in Germany, France or Switzerland. Have you checked?

Regarding focal lengths for architecture on 4x5, I like: 58, 72, 90, 120.

Quote Originally Posted by chassis View Post
    Belgium is an ugly country? On the contrary. Have you been to Antwerp, Brugge, or Blankenberge? Not to mention Brussels and Tournai. Arguably, Belgium is one of the most history-filled countries in the western part of Europe within the former Frankish realm.

Regarding shutter repair, there certainly must be services available in Germany, France or Switzerland. Have you checked?

Regarding focal lengths for architecture on 4x5, I like: 58, 72, 90, 120.
    As I live here for almost half a century, YES it is a pug ugly country. I won't deny we have a certain interesting history. And sure, if you see nothing but the inner old cities then you can be mistaken for it to be nice.

Had very bad experienc in France, Germany is fine if you want german stuff to be repaired. Never looked in Switserland, no idea how it sits for customs.
    Expert in non-working solutions.

45-57-617

Perhaps the sticky shutter should be 'written off' ... ??
    If you are willing to experiment then ... you could take the glass out and bathe the thing in alchohol. It might free things up. The other option is 1,1,1 TriChloro as in the fluid at a dry cleaning shop. Perhaps dunk it in the tank at the dry cleaners ?

:-)