Thread: LA : film holders and tent

LA : film holders and tent

Hi guys,

Help: Australian lost in LA for a short trip.

Need to buy a few more 8x10 DD's, and have a look at a harrison tent (getting sick of my bag).

Any stores recommended to go have a look this weekend (staying in Monrovia if that helps at all?).

Many thanks,
    D.

I'd try here: http://www.freestylephoto.biz/sc_prod.php?cat_id=&pid=3264 I assume they have tents, though I haven't checked that. Take the 10 freeway west, then the 101 north get off at sunset and go east. I can't think of anybody closer to Monrovia who would have film holders, but maybe somebody else can.

Eric Woodbury

With the price of gas and the size of LA, you should call around. I don't know where anything is, but with that aside, try Calumet or Samys, too.
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

http://www.samys.com/

Excellent store. At least the one I found this spring when I was there was excellent. Don't remember which one that was, sigh. I think there are four or five in the area.

Bruce Watson

thanks guys,

much appreciated! I think I have it all sorted.

have a good long weekend.

D.

The people who make Harrison Tents are in LA

Camera Essentials 2620 1/2 Hyperion Avenue Los Angeles, CA 90027

http://www.cameraessentials.com/index.html

maybe give them a call?

Also, isn't our own Andrew Glover in LA - aka CP Goerz and Dagor77?

You can track down his email on here

Maybe he will have some stuff he could sell you "off ebay" so to speak (as in off-license sales...) - you never know. You might even get to meet the delectible Artara! (or maybe even themysterious lady she is fashioned after). You may have to eat canned haggis though
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

You might see if there is a camera swap meet this weekend. They are pretty regular occurences in....uh.... (lets see---Pomona? Orange County? Buena Park? Somewhere around there!) I think they still list them in Shutterbug.

Freestyle in Hollywood is worth a go just for being a pilgrimage to a photo-mecca but I doubt if they'd have 8x10 holders. I'd give 'em a call first and save on that $3/gallon gas. I think Lisco/Fidelity is still manufactured in the LA area ---ask for a factory tour? Maybe they'll hand out free samples? If not, there is a Budweiser brewery in Van Huys that does ;-)

Check out Photographers Space in Whittier run by Mike Ryan at photospace.com or tel# 562 698 0089 for used film holders and who knows what else he's got.

Samy's Camera and Calumet (as other have mentioned. )

There are a few old time pro photo outfits left but darned if I can remember the names. Dagor 77 probably knows their where-abouts (no doubt after having cleaned them out of their Goerz lenses durniing poker games back in the storeroom!) Perhaps he'll chime in.

Cheers!

Good Luck!

Good Luck!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Dave Karp

Samy's has a store in Pasadena. They might be worth a call.

Freestyle is in Hollywood. Calumet is in LA, not far from Hollywood. Freestyle is open on Sunday. I think that all of these stores will have what you need, but check in advance because you might do a lot of driving for nothing.