Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: seeing the change since weston shot it/there

seeing the change since weston shot it/there

Frank,

You just keep opening your mouth and proving your stupidity. First of all, I am not Chandler Weston. Although I would have considered it an honor to be the son of Edward Weston. And of course, I am sure you didn't know Chandler passed away about 10 years ago or you wouldn't have made such a disgusting comment. Secondly, if you would close your mouth and open your eyes and read a little Weston history, you would learn it was Edward's son Neil, who was the model for all of his father's male nude studies in the 1920's. If you are interested in educating yourself, I suggest Charis' book, "Through Another Lens: My Years with Edward Weston." It is an excellent continuation from where Edward's Daybook leave off. That is ,of course, if you have read the Daybooks. If not, start there. You might learn something about the history of photography.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

what's with all the bile, chandler? last i looked the conversation was about point lobos ... no one was attacking you or anyone else. if someone has some information wrong, how about politely telling them?

The internet is a spooky place Chandler ... who knows what's in the ether?

actually the topic isn't just about point lobos, however point lobos usually is brought up most.

Funny how these threads almost always get ugly. Chill out Chandler. It was a mistake. We all make them. Don't you?

If I might bring it back to the begining, I'll offer that if you go to death valley, its fairly easy to find Weston's spots (well, they're not really 'his', but you know what I mean). One particular one that comes to mind is up on Zabriskie Point; head to the left of the overlook and peer down-"Hey, I know that view!"

Are Chandler and Frank the same poster?
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Can't get to the Weston sites [little too far from Alabama - besides, the gas is too expensive now], but I'm in the process of doing this for Walker Evans sites in the SE. I got got Edwards, MS 3 days before the hurricane hit. Didn't have time to go on to Vicksburg. That will be another trip.
    Alec

I've visited Point Lobos three or four times. A great place to photograph but I don't know about finding the places from which he photographed. Maybe along the shore but everywhere else there are roped-off paths so I don't think you could get to his places even if you could find them.

Without (1) being critical of anyone, or (2) intending to generate any arguments, or (3) start an acrimonious debate (whew, is that enough disclaimers : - )) Weston was the classic modernist, not a post-modernist. It was artists like Weston and their theories, principles, values, etc. that post-modernism was reacting to.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

No, I am not schizophrenic enough (or willing to troll for a really dumb joke) to play Chandler. I do like Brett butting in though - maybe some of the other family members could join the thread?

No worries Brian, but I was refering to Weston's later work as being a postmodern. He was photographing the facades forming classic landscapes and photo opportunities (movie lots, highways, advertising signs, southern mansions in disrepair) with the deadpan irony of a typical 1980s MFA student. That he did it in the late 30s and early 40s (please don't kill me if I don't give the exact dates Chandler...) was the interesting part. And because of this, he went far beyond the other f/64 - West Coast photographers - to have helped usher in modernism and then go on to help subvert it is something very special.

I have many Weston books and have read his Daybooks several times. In the haste of posting I don't always do my research or even check my spelling, which is my fault. But I admire Weston as a photographer very much, and sympathize with his imperfections as well. For an old fart family man to run off to Mexico with a hot commie babe - well, it must have been pretty wild - it would make that Frida Kahlo movie look like a Disney production.