Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wristwatch for backpacking with LF?

Re: Wristwatch for backpacking with LF?

That only works when I'm visiting my folks down in Biloxi .

Seriously though, I don't like to count MS's when doing 30+ seconds, which happens with late-day, deep-forest photos.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

In formulating my final exam for my advanced photography students...I offered, as a bonus question (five points!) the option for students to guess at intervals of time including five seconds, twenty seconds, and one minute. To do this, I'd have a given student sit opposite me, and I'd give them a "start" signal - at which point they'd do a silent count of seconds...indicating the end point of each of the three intervals by holding up a finger. If they could guess the five second interval to within one second, the twenty second within three seconds, and one minute within five seconds...they'd get the extra five points. If they could guess each of the intervals within one second, I'd double the bonus!

When I find myself awake at three am (a rather frequent occurrence lately) I play a little game with my digital clock - waiting for the exact instant when the minute changes and then counting seconds to myself to see how close I can come to perfect, one-minute intervals. I've gotten so that I can usually guess the exact interval, although sometimes I'm off by about half a second either way. I started doing this, ostensibly, to be fair to my students...but these days, and more truthfully, I do this because I find myself, for at least half of those occasions when I'm setting up for a time exposure on location...to have forgotten my watch!

PS...Note to self - for my next camera build...install a stopwatch into the camera! (didn't polaroid do something like this back in the day?) Seems like an obvious solution!

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    In formulating my final exam for my advanced photography students...I offered, as a bonus question (five points!) the option for students to guess at intervals of time including five seconds, twenty seconds, and one minute. To do this, I'd have a given student sit opposite me, and I'd give them a "start" signal - at which point they'd do a silent count of seconds...indicating the end point of each of the three intervals by holding up a finger. If they could guess the five second interval to within one second, the twenty second within three seconds, and one minute within five seconds...they'd get the extra five points. If they could guess each of the intervals within one second, I'd double the bonus!

When I find myself awake at three am (a rather frequent occurrence lately) I play a little game with my digital clock - waiting for the exact instant when the minute changes and then counting seconds to myself to see how close I can come to perfect, one-minute intervals. I've gotten so that I can usually guess the exact interval, although sometimes I'm off by about half a second either way. I started doing this, ostensibly, to be fair to my students...but these days, and more truthfully, I do this because I find myself, for at least half of those occasions when I'm setting up for a time exposure on location...to have forgotten my watch!
    Growing up we had a friend that could tell you the time, day or night, any time someone would ask and he did it without any type of watch. Just would close his eyes and look up! No one, including his parents, knew how he did it.

The Gossen DigiSix hand held light meter has a built in clock, a count-down timer and a thermometer.

How difficult can it be to buy on Amazon a good, cheap, watch that might work well? Very difficult, indeed...

Thanks for all the responses folks (humorous ones in particular)! I think I'm gonna just buy that terror-watch from Amazon that's $11 for this trip which may help me gauge what I can better do for the next trip (I like the idea of an analog watch, e.g.). Hopefully that means the phone only needs to come out if I'm doing a really long exposure and need to account for reciprocity or, for some reason, am doing a macro shot. Wish I could just leave the phone in the car but probably something I should have just in case...

Now all I have to do is figure out what film to bring (FP4 mostly and a few sheets of Ektar and Velvia most likely)

Wow! If you cannot buy a watch on your own, how will you ever operate a view camera?

Photographer

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Wolfe View Post
    Wow! If you cannot buy a watch on your own, how will you ever operate a view camera?
    Yeah.
    Keith Pitman

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Wolfe View Post
    This is very overblown for long exposures.
    If your meter tells you a 10 second exposure then to be one stop over exposed you would have to make a 20 second exposure and for a stom under you would be at 5 seconds. If you can’t learn to count 1 one thousand, 2 one thousand, etc.
    Or 1 Missippippi, 2 missippippi, etc.. you give up long exposures. Watches aren’t needed all it takes a beat and some basic rythym!