Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Swiss army snow skis in August---opinions?

Swiss army snow skis in August---opinions?

There is nothing that beats snowshoes for winter photography. I don't understand your point about changing ligth - you chase light on skis? And how do you do the rest of LF fiddling?

WRT to army issued gear, I knew many people in the French alpine divisions. It was a fairly common practice to buy personal gear on the civilian market, and paint it so that it could be confused with the standard-issue gear from a distance.

Ask your ski dealer about "skihawking" equipment -- it's a cross between alpine and nordic equipment, made for both climbing and hiking, and schussing; with a quick flip of the binding you change from free heel (to which you can add a scaled base, climbing skins, etc.) to a bound heel that lets you use parallel technique; the skis are much wider than nordic slats and easier transition for an alpine skier.
    If a contact print at arm's length is too small to see, you need a bigger camera. :D

Snowmobile...LF's hard enough...

Maybe a set of ski's that join together and become a tripod too...nah, snowmobile.
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover"
    August Rodin

My Now old Photo Site

John,

I recently move to Switzerland to go to a photography school. I now live in Lausanne, I am a big skiing fan, and large format photographer also.

My advice would be not to go on those really narrow skis. Your are going to carry a quite heavy backpack, which makes skiing more difficult.

As you live in the US, I strongly recommend you to go to www.dbskis.com . This is a new brand, ther eskis are 100% made of carbon. They have three different models, form the fattest stuff i've ever seen to a moderatly wide all-round ski. I've tested their gear, they are really great skis, and what is really cool is that they are incredibly light, about as lignt as competiton touring skis (i'd say 4 or 5 lbs for a pair of their smallest skis).

Then go for some dynafit low tech tiny bindings (1 1/2 lb), and ski touring shoes that are compatible with these bindings (scarpa and garmont make some).

Believe me, if you want to enjoy yourself both while going up and down, this is the way to go.

If you want any other precisions, please feel free to contact me.

Benoit

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

To address "Swiss army snow skis in August---opinions?" directly.

Don't do it!

Barrelling down a slope of gravel can be fun for a while, but the wipe out is much worse! Just go with a good pair of comfortable boots, its much safer.

As for skis in winter, now that's the ticket! (I use use snow shoes myself.)
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans