Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Newbie of sorts: Photoshop Now?

Newbie of sorts: Photoshop Now?

I am an old-newbie in this: Not a computer-wiz either.

I used photoshop CS 3 years ago. I used it to process scanned 8x1 0 negatives . Used it for minimal adjustments to contrast and for cropping, that sort of thing. Out put was ink-jet printing. Never did need to use layers. Then came a newer computer and serious problems re-installing the software. That is another story that I do not want to tell in this thread. What I have been limping along with is a copy of elements that is not fully compatable with Windows 10, or maybe its the settings I use.

All that is to intro my question(s).

What product from Adobe do I need to get? I see that they won't sell me a box woth a disk anymore; subscription only with cloud access and so on. I need a little hand-holding on this.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Eric Biggerstaff

Re: Newbie of sorts: Photoshop Now?

Drew,

My Adobe photo subscription runs $10/month and allows access to Photoshop, Lightroom, Bridge, etc. So, you can pick and choose which you want to use. Some people do not like the monthly fee but I find it well worth it.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

A few years ago I bought Photoshop CS6 when it was on sale in anticipation of Adobe's move to cloud only versions. However, PSE 7 still takes care of most editing on my Windows 7 system. Adobe isn't the only useful publisher. Irfanview is handier for most basic tasks than other programs. Gimp is good (and free). There are several other viable alternatives to Adobe products.

Tell Adobe to take a hike with its software rental scheme. Try this:

I purchased Serif's predecessor product (PhotoPlus X8) and am completely satisfied with its 16-bit processing capabilities. Affinity is reportedly even close to Photoshop in terms of structure/function.

Just upgrade your copy of Elements if you already know how it works. A quick Google search tells me Elements 14 and later works with Win10. When I used to teach PS classes, we used Elements because the Continuing Ed. area couldn't afford the full Photoshop licenses, and it had 95% of the same features (at least, for photography work and basic to mid-tier editing).

GIMP is fine if you don't mind learning a new software.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Drew,
    Adobe WILL sell you a non-subscription edition of Lightroom 6, which is what I recommend. It has tools and abilities more suited to the needs of a photographer that Photoshop does not. It would be a good idea to study what Lightroom has to offer to see if its a good fit for your needs before buying a copy. Its quite different from Photoshop CS3. But it has strengths that most photographers appreciate. (Adobe split Photoshop into Photoshop and Lightroom because they saw that designers/illustrators and photographers had distinctly different needs, and one product could not fit both usage scenarios as well as two products with unique traits could)

Adobe has made it difficult to find the standalone desktop version of Lightroom 6 on their web site (they REALLY want people to buy into their pay-monthly plans) but its still there (click).

Thanks everyone; all good stuff.

Corran" Up-grading Elements sounds good. I am looking at the main screen for my Elements-5, but do not see any way to do an upgrade. IO will try to click around a bit. Looked on the Adobe website and can't find a way to contact them without a password . . .which I don't have. Whisky-Tango and so on.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

From what I could see online, Elements 5 was released some time in 2006. It may be time to pay for a full license of Elements 2018 and call it a day . Seriously though I have my doubts that they'd give you an upgrade discount.

Also, let me be clear that I really don't like the Creative Cloud platform and refuse to use it (I have CS6). The affiliate link from Google when searching for Elements automatically redirects to a CC purchase page - what a dastardly trick!! I found the link directly to purchase Elements 2018 - which is on "sale" right now for $70:

https://www.adobe.com/products/photo...omoid=CZY722KB

Don't count on Adobe supporting stand-alone software much longer, even Elements.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

So I tried to contact Adobe on this and they seem to be totally unresponsive. Seems as though no one is at home.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com

I'm in a similar situation, being a reluctant computer operator. It seems that for my Windows 7 PC Elements 12 is the most recent compatible software that comes on a disc in a box, I am not interested in "cloud" services. I have just ordered the software NOS and Adobe hardcopy manual both from ebay.com for a combined total of about $70.