Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Portriga Rapid

Portriga Rapid

I’m lamenting the loss of Agfa’s Portriga Rapid fiber paper, finding that papers like Ilford Warmtone and Bergger’s Wartmtone don’t even come close to the magic of Portriga Rapid. Is there anything currently available that comes close(r) to Portriga’s look?? Thanks.

Re: Portriga Rapid

Portriga Rapid has been gone for what 25-30 years? I use Ilford Warmtone toned in Photographers Formulary Polysulfide toner when I want that look. It's not the same, but it does give a rich brown tone.

Quote Originally Posted by faberryman View Post
    Portriga Rapid has been gone for what 25-30 years? I use Ilford Warmtone toned in Photographers Formulary Polysulfide toner when I want that look. It's not the same, but it does give a rich brown tone.
    Portriga Rapid has a particular value scale that is unlike modern papers, and its that tonality I’m after as much as the color. But thanks for the suggestion - I have considered that if all else fails.
    Yes, Portriga Rapid has been extinct for 25 years or more.

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    Portriga Rapid has a particular value scale that is unlike modern papers...
    Do you have a characteristic curve that you can share so that those of us who haven't used Portriga can understand what scale you're looking for? Or can you describe it?

The rumor is that it's look depend on incorporating cadmium, which is no longer allowed.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    The rumor is that it's look depend on incorporating cadmium, which is no longer allowed.
    NOt a rumor, but fact. We lost more than one good paper when cadmium was disallowed.

Paul - gum over Palladium is where its at. You can create any look you want with incredible richness. I have had a complete turnaround since doing them and prefer to any silver prints.

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    Paul - gum over Palladium is where its at. You can create any look you want with incredible richness. I have had a complete turnaround since doing them and prefer to any silver prints.
    I am looking forward to your workshop at the Photrio Symposium. I hope you'll have time to address gum over platinum/palladium.

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    Bob, where can I learn more about this?

Quote Originally Posted by faberryman View Post
    I am looking forward to your workshop at the Photrio Symposium. I hope you'll have time to address gum over platinum/palladium.
    going to be pretty jammed that day but there will be lots of gum over palladiums at the Lonsdale show, I think Bill Schwab is delivering a bunch of them actually this afternoon and I have quite a few clients and my own in that show