Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kodak to Drop More Film Lines

Kodak to Drop More Film Lines

J&C200 and Bergger 200 are VERY different films. If you want some real information on the J&C films as well as other B&W options have a look on the AZO forum and on APUG.

I read the formal announcement and conclude that this is nothing more than an extension of the staff reductions and the painfull process of cutting the excess. Kodak was excessively over staffed and even today into far to many ancillary businesses to compete in the new game. I feel better that they are facing the music and doing what they need to do so they have a better chance of remaining in the conventional game as a minority position within their global strategy of being a digital player. Right now they desparately need to stop the financial bloodletting and the new guy is making the hard decisions. What could possible be bad about that? Unless you are a long term Kodak employee not ready for the handshake out the door, this is nothing but the best of news. Surely, the investment community sees it that way as it made their stock rise.

Complaining about a loss of a particular film is rather trivial in the bigger scheme of things. There is no question that if you want to continue using sheet film you will find a replacement emulsion that will sequester your needs and be deserving of your consumer dollars.

Cheers!

I beleive that Kodak will make just about any emulsion you want, provided you order an entire run at $20K or so. After all, they do it for the ULF guys. At least until they run out of coating machine operators.

I suspect they will continue to make film base and paper bases for a long time, because they have non-photo applications.

Frank Petronio: I suspect they will continue to make film base and paper bases for a long time, because they have non-photo applications.
    Curious - what are those non-photo products?

Gosh darn it!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I agree with Jorge. I don't want to reward Kodak by spending piles of money stocking up on film to increase their profits before they finally pull the rug out from under the entire thing. I have about 3 boxes of TMAX Readyloads in the fridge, and after that's gone, so is my dependence on Kodak films.

I'll still shoot tri-X and of course Tmax400(when the reciprocity gremlins demand it) as well as the aerecon and aerographic (kind of limited to choice when it comes to LF roll film) but none of the Kodak stuff has been my "standard" for a couple of years now---only bit players who come on and off my photographic stage as I deem neccesary. Sad state of affairs. I feel sorry for the people who work/worked for Kodak.

I think what we're about to see, with large retail chains dropping the sales of film cameras(wait and see if Costco and WalMart follow the Piper with the digital flute!) is roll film becoming an esoteric sector of the art world.

Does it bother me? No, shooting sheet film (and LF in general)we're already entrenched as an esoteric sector.

I can still get double run 8mm film for my Dad's movie camera (I'd have a hard time finding a place to process it however) but the stuff is still around 40 years after it was "killed" by super 8 which was in truned "killed" by camcorders---well, you get the idea. Since processing is the big problem, I'm all the more for home darkrooms and passing on the technique. The corner drugstore won't be doing it in the future.

FWIW I still have a stash of ektapan next to the eskimo pies in the freezer out in the garage.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Let em go. I feel for the workers but I refuse to buy any kodak products anymore. Let them go into the cell phone biz. I'll support the others.

Stocking up has a double-whammy effect: not only does it reward a company that is leaving the market, it deprives the remaining players of income and hence reduces their incentive to stay in the market...

I agree with Jorge. I would rather support the smaller companies that are likely to continue manufacuting black and white film for years to come.