Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I WAS ROBBED!

I WAS ROBBED!

Add my condolences to those already offered. Andrew, even though words fall short of what we're feeling for you.

A friend, who was running his own studio in Miami a few years back, had a break-in at the studio. They came in through the skylight, and hauled all his gear back out the same way. He was, of course, similarly devastated, but perhaps more so as he depended on the gear for his family's living. His insurance covered only a small fraction of the actual eplacement value. A couple of weeks after that, I found a refrigerator-sized safe (900# empty). I've slept much better since.

I WAS ROBBED!

That's tough Andrew, my condolences. Hope they get caught and your valuables are returned.
    It still won't help the feeling of violation, but it would be a nice start.

I've written down all serial numbers and photographed my photo equipment and the list and photos are in a safebox.

Another thing all might remember is to NOT announce upcoming trips and such on this or any forum.
    You never know who peruses these sites looking for just that type of info. Just a thought.
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover"
    August Rodin

My Now old Photo Site

I WAS ROBBED!

Andrew,

Am really sorry to hear of your loss... my sincere condolences!

Will keep an eye on ebay for your gear but I would suggest that you contact the local camera shops and let them know of the theft. Also, check/follow the For Sale ads in your local newspaper too.

If you're in dire straits for a 4x5... let me know and perhaps we can make arrangements for you to borrow my Tachihara, ok?

Good luck... I hope the police catch the little *&*($&%*^&^#!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

I WAS ROBBED!

Well actually, this was not a robbery, it was an entry into someone's home while they were not there for the purpose of committing theft. It happens to be one of the commonest of crimes, not normally the subject of a "my God, how could this happen" thread about photography. I don't mean to minimize it, but as someone who has been robbed, at knife-point no less, I can assure you that there is a difference between robbery and your basic break and enter. There is enough of a difference, and break and enter is sufficiently common, that I honestly don't understand the point of this thread. Is there anyone on this site who has not been the victim of theft?

I WAS ROBBED!

jeff, you're not serious with that reply, are you?

I WAS ROBBED!

andrew, my deepest sympathies. my house was broken into a few years back. the material goods were all easily replaced, what took far more time to recover from was the fear that that woman i was then living with had about being alone in the house from that point foward. all the best to you and your family during this difficult time. we'll all keep a sharp eye for your gear, but you would be well-advised to call the pawn shops in your area with a list of your stolen items.

I WAS ROBBED!

"Jeff," "Jon," "Stew" ... who knows? If it's really "Jon," are you the same Jon I had a coffee with and bought a book from once? Seemed like it might be, since that fellow also knew some things about TV and cine production and was also NYC based. If it is, he's not so acerbic in person as he is on the forum, but maybe it's really Jeff or Stew or K-something.

Robbery vs. burglary--both unpleasant for sure.

I WAS ROBBED!

Andrew,

I'm sorry to hear that. Don't know what else to say... Get well.

I WAS ROBBED!

I agree with Oren - however sad the event is thank God that you have the greatest gifts of them all - your life, your health and, hopefully, some good friends. Look at those who live for years in hospitals - it will help you to go on.

I WAS ROBBED!

My sympathies about the robbery (b/e)-I don't know of anybody who has not been robbed at one time or another.

Your homeowners insurance will cover most stuff, and I go to the extra trouble to do a separate listing of most of my camera gear, especially the things that cost thousands, and then they are covered against any theft, no matter where it happens, even in a foreign country, breakage, etc. It costs a tad extra, $100/ year I think, but it is comforting.