Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: B&W Filter For RedRock Country

B&W Filter For RedRock Country

forgive the stupid question, but it seems that hoya has theie own naming convention... is their X1 the same as the #58?

thanks,
    scott

A Ratten number 58 green cutting filter is very deep green. I understand why at low sun angles you might want to experiment with filtration depending on film type. You already have very defined textures and any filter you might use could change these subtle relations that already exist. Film is cheap so I would opt for shooting a couple sheets or frames using different filters. And also no filtering at all. And this also depends on what you want the image to look like, and what your post processing regimen will be. There are so many variables to think about in any situation. That's one reason I shoot lots of film, and I love to talk about what I am contemplating with others I shoot with. You learn very little in a vacuum. And the adage that I hear espoused so often on these forums that some think it best to shoot alone or not to follow in the footsteps of those who have come before us, I feel is poppycock. Why invent the wheel all over again? Love the images Kirk.

Thanks james. For me I usually don't have the option of changing filters and experimenting on a real image, because the light and clouds etc. is so fleeting. I sometimes wait for an hour and the boom it all comes together with barely enough time to get two negs shot. It took me a few trips to work out the filtration in Chaco on Tri-x, shooting nothing of interest but just exploring. For the rest of the book project (and 11 years) though I knew exactly what to use and do and was able to grab allot of fleeting scenes.

I also (unless teaching a workshop) prefer to work alone. I want people to experience my aesthetic vision via my images and keep the original scene private.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Has anyone tried using a graduated filter of some sort? This may be an effective way of darkening the sky without altering other areas of the scene. It seems to me an ND grad could be used together with a contrast altering glass filter to get some desireable results.

Many of the Anasazi ruins images that Sexton shot were with a BLUE filter. Really makes the red rocks POP!

Think about it.