Apologies if this is off topic, but I didn't know a better place to ask.

I've been getting great results scanning 4x5 bw negs with an epson 4870 scanner and vuescan, using a mask and shims and wet-mounting on float glass (for prints that will be enlarged up to 3 times).

But I'm now doing a project with 2-1/4 inch color negs. I'd like the option of printing 12x12 inches (a 5X to 6X enlargement depending on any cropping). And I doubt I'd be able to wet mount easily (so I'd probably get an after market neg holder that can at least flatten the film).

Will this be pushing the limits of the scanner? I'm not as picky about absolute sharpness and detail with this project as I am with the black and white project, but I don't want to put a lot of work and money into producing compromised prints. The final prints will be made either as digital c-prints or as ink on art paper, depending on which look I prefer. But since I don't have the inkjet printer I'd need, I don't have an inexpensive way to run tests.

I need to decide if I can scan them myself with current gear, if I need to save up for something new, or find a way to get someone else to scan them.

Thoughts?