Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A photographers notebook

A photographers notebook

gps: what made you think that your question made Richard "angry" ? It sounds like a politician's trick to call his opponent's "angry" no matter what the debate is. Richard replied to you politely and accurately.
    If you are not interested in his postings, you are free to skip them, but since it looks they will be right for the
    topic of this forum, and there is interest, I don't see why Richard would have to follow your admonition.

Richard, thanks for your offer. If you confirm you will use the LF forum to post the "photographer's notebook", I'll create a new category for them, and link the category from the home page. Blog sites such as http://www.blogger.com/ are indeed easy to use, and a good alternative that would give you more control, but the advantage of posting in the forum is that there is already a regular readership, and the comment mechanism is perfectly adequate, and not that different from blogging software. Plus we don't run adds next to your messages.

A photographers notebook

Dear John Cook: John, thanks for your kind comments on my new facility. You and I have never met but we talk via email, and I did send you some color snapshots of my new facility. We two have a lot in common, beside being ACCD grads, and being in the professional end of life. If you feel inclided, post any of the shots I sent you of my new facility.

With regard to "gps" and any others who doubt my credentials or intentions, just let me say that I truly believe that there are things I could say that would help others, climbing up the ladder. My primary interest is concentrating on how to make good pictures. Screw the technique. Technique is something to be learned and mastered, and then taken as automatic while me move to the true goal, which is to make fine photographs...and "Tell a Story"! Our story. The story that each of us, individually want to tell. The story of what we have seen, and want to share with others...via our pictures. It's a new language, and many are struggling, unnecessarily.

My own story is one of successes AND failures. Some how I managed to survive, but it was as much about discipline, desire and determination....as it was about education and experience and down right good luck. Seeing my career through my eyes, and what I have learned, just might give others hints on right directions to go....or NOT. Your choice.

As for "gps"...I am not at all angry. I can be very assertive, as I was in response to your post which I thought was not well asked.

I just though of myself, in my earlier years as I began to work and study to be a professional, and hoped that someone would lift the veil, and give me a glimpse of life as a pro.

If I do decide to post a series of "Columns" on this site, it will be to share, not an act of ego satisfaction for myself. The ego needs of my personal self were satisfied, for the most part, many years ago.

Some of my posts might anger some, and offend others. So be it. Any thing I might post will ask those who decide to read, to consider another viewpoint....mine. Doesn't mean I'm right, but what the hell. Opinons are like *******s! Everybody's got one.

My only failure can be if I fail to make someone think, or attempt to appreciate another point of view.

And yes, John Cook...you are right on, when you talk about light. I once heard the question asked.... "what is the primary tool of the photographer?" The answer from a very famous photographer was..."The knowledge that light has additional properties besides quantity, and color. Knowledge and the ability to use light as a tool, is the primary tool of the photographer. Light has quality..and most are unaware of this most important characteristic!" (I paraphrase).

We are all lucky. Why? Because, unlike NFL football players...the older we get..the better we get, if we keep learning and growing.

Photography is a thinking persons venue. READY? On Two! Every body think...."Hmmmmm"! (;-)

Richard Boulware

A photographers notebook

Sorry folks. I should change my web name to AA, for "anally analog". I couldn't post a photograph to save my soul.

But I can still ferrotype single weight glossies on a gas-fired Pako drum drier. And I still own a few colortran stands. Does that count?

A photographers notebook

QT Luong, what makes you think that I thought that Richard was angry? I asked him IF my question made him angry. What makes you think that I called him angry? If I'm not interested in his posting I can skipp them - you see, you're right! I don't even need your advice for it, imagine! What admonition on my side are you speaking about? As far as I read my post, there isn't any admonition. Can you elaborate? Oh, next time you want to give me advice on what I can skipp keep it for yourself. I didn't ask you for that favour. Hope you are not angry because of that.

A photographers notebook

Dear Richard, why do you think that my question "what original you have to offer" was not well asked? What did make you believe that I doubted about your credentials? Didn't you say yourself that you don't think you're a kind of authority on photography?

A photographers notebook

QR Luong: Thank you for offering some special position for any posts I might make. I can promise you that if I DO deside to post, I will do in on this forum, which I read regularly. I do not seek any special position for any posts, only to attempt to offer some thoughts on things I have come to know as 'sound' over my career. I don't want to be seen as some 'expert'...but just as a guy who cares about 'giving back' to a profession that has brought me joy, sorrow, pleasure and pain,.....but was exciting....and NEVER dull.

I leave it to your expert advice, as to where to place my work. I would suggest that perhaps I can post a few column's and then you might decide what to do with them...or throw them out, with a laugh and a giggle. Who knows? I will attempt to be brief and to the point in my writing.

Your friend, Richard Boulware

A photographers notebook

ahh, the list's disingenuous pillock

A photographers notebook

Mr. Boulware:

I could list so many things I'd like to learn from your experiences, but I'd love to read of your experiences shooting from a helicopter, and airplanes if you will. Yes, it's a small part of your life's work, but right now I am "aerial challenged". (And afraid to fly!)

A photographers notebook

Now, when we explained each other's heart,(I hope so) one more question, dear Richard. You said your "over all goal .. would be to encourage photographers to think ... or reflect". Hmm.
    That made me think (or reflect?) - what is the difference between "to think ....or reflect" in your over all goal?

A photographers notebook

Paddy, you should not call QT or Richard or anyone else names in this forum. Please read the guidelines to know why. Cheers!