Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which to use?

Which to use?

For those who use multiple formats.
    How do you decide which to take out with you when you go shooting. It is really hard to carry 4x5, 5x7. 8x10, 12x20, 6x7 and 35mm digital.

Do you take multiple formats or just one.

Which to use?

I typically have the 4x5 and the 8x10 in the car with me. When I go hiking and don't know what to expect I take the 4x5 - I have more lenses for that format and am better prepared for whatever I might find. If the hike resulted in good picture opportunities I might go back with my 8x10. On longer hikes (8 miles and more) I only take my Mamiya 645 outfit with me.
    Juergen

Which to use?

My photography toolbox by size:

4x5" and 5x7": table top compositions or landscapes
    6x7" rangefinder: infrared film mostly for landscape fine art projects
    6x7" TTL w/bellows: close-up macros
    2¼ : people/animal portraits
    35 mm w/zooms: walk-around candid types (like at a festival)

Which to use?

Depends on the subject... and how far I have to walk to get to that subject! LOL But seriously, I usually carry my 4x5 as well as my dslr and it all fits very nicely in a backpack I have (made by Mountainsmith). If I am just doing some casual shooting, I might grab a 35mm film camera (even though I have a dslr; Each of my 35mm's produce their own special negatives - almost like a fingerprint). And finally, if I'm going to be out hiking and I'm just not in the mood to mess with LF, I take my Mamiya.

But again, it's the subject that dictates my choice 90% of the time.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Which to use?

I usually work on one project at a time, and will use one format and one kind of film for that project. So there's never any thinking about what camera to grab.

Which to use?

For basic walking around I'll either have a 6x6 TLR on my shoulder, or a dSLR - sometimes both if I know I'm going into a target rich area.

For a serious photo only day. 4x5 with the dSLR in a backpack. Unless I know I'm shooting alot of color, in which case, I'll take both 4x5s, and the 6x7/6x9 backs for the VHR.

Which to use?

I just take the 16x20. If I want a smaller format I can crop.

Which to use?

Atta boy Frank! That covers it all. I know a Guy who uses a two wheel cart for hauling game out of the woods.( I think Cabelas sells a couple of different models.) I went on a couple mile hike with him and he never broke a sweat, hauling his ULF gear. I'm looking into adapting one for hauling the 8x20 and 14x17 gear with. (one format at a time of course). But I was really impressed with how easy it was to move that kind of weight with the right cart even over uneven terrain. With something like this you wouldn't be limited to shooting right next to the car. A decent trail could mean anything within a couple of miles. It would make life a lot easier on the photo assistant anyway.

Which to use?

If you take two or more size cameras you will most often use the smaller.

Which to use?

Depends upon how much room and how far I'm going.

Around town I take a single format up to 11x14 or 7x17 with me and just work in that for the shoot.

Around the country I take a 120 format and 4x5 kit. Sometimes the 8x10 goes, but only if I know my marriage will end in divorce.

Around the world, I'm looking at taking a 4.5 pound, three lens Ikeda Anba 4x5 kit, or (most of the time) a Mamiya 7 and/or Rolleiflex TLR.

I haven't figured out how to arrange for porters when I travel overseas. Nor have I figured out how to time warp so I can spend months at a time in remote locations, and still make money at my day job. :-(