My good friend John Cook has been so kind to mention the beauty of fall in New England, so I thought I would mention the timing of the turning of the Aspen, in Colorado.

Having lived/worked here in 'God's Country' for 35 years, I thought I would pass along some general timing information that might be useful to those wanting a sense of when to come to CO.

Generally, the turning of the Aspen happens around the THIRD weekend of September but will vary by location, altitude, and climate conditions.. Most TV stations here in Denver will have sporatic reports on when, where the Aspen are turning, giving weekend travelers good information for viewing.

Unlike New England, the turning of the Aspen happens with less duration of the full color. By that I mean that in New England and the Mid West, the beautiful color will last a few or more weeks at peak color saturation. This is generally not true in Colorado. Our Aspen will begin to turn and a week in advance, you might predict the timing of the golden peak of the turning. The Aspen will hold at their peak for two or three days and then it is downhill from there.

If I can assist any of my friends on this board to fine-tuning their trips to our high country, please let me know and I will be happy to help you with the location and timing...of the turning of the golden Aspen....which is a sight to see.

Richard Boulware - Denver.