Hello, I was wondering if someone with experience using an 8x10 enlarger could give me some spatial advice. I am currently designing and tooling up an darkroom for my house. The first and hopefully last I will ever build. I have really only worked in a large school darkroom so I am relying on what I can read about layout and design in smaller spaces.

The room I will be using is 12’6” by 14’6” with a ceiling that slopes from 9’6” to 8’. It is 4 bricks walls so won’t ever get expanded, although there is a large room attached that is a music studio and could house some things like a work table, flat files etc. I will be running all the electric and plumbing myself and can lay it out in whatever way feels best. I already have almost everything I need including a 4x5 enlarger and a large developing sink and stainless 8x10 developing setup. In my inital layoud designs I was planning on having a flatfile and small work table in the darkroom but I can move those out if necassary.

I am trying do decide if an 8x10 enlarger is a realistic option of this space before I actually dig in on building it out. I would try my best to source a “smaller” 8x10 like a De Vere. But having never actually used one and having spent very little time in a smaller (I know its not tiny) darkroom It is hard for me to get my mind around the space. The sink I have will only handle 20x24 trays so I would have to set something up even if temporarily to make larger prints. My play would be to have the 4x5 and the 8x10 enlarger side by side and the sink on the opposite wall.

Any imput on this would be appreciated. Other things to consider are that I have a large basement very close that things can be stored in when not in use and the fact that I mostly plan on working alone but would like the space to feel ok with 2 people in it from time to time.

I know that people have created viable darkrooms in extremely undersized spaces and I do hope to be as efficient as possible but I really want this to not feel cramped. That is the goal at least.

Cheers
Travis