Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 90mm Schneider 4x5 lens problem?

Re: 90mm Schneider 4x5 lens problem?

Thought about that earlier. The problem is that I loaded all of my film holders again, a couple days ago, so now if the leak has already happened on the new film and I unload the film back into its box, and check the holders and don't see anything with a flashlight, I'll more than likely (without the kind of luck that wins lotteries, and knowing mine, it won't be) end up with 2 sheets of light leaked film, when I re-load it. I think I'll go and shoot all the loaded film, keep track of which scenes were in which holder, and just sacrifice a shot. I shot these unimportant photos to test my new equipment (new camera, lenses, film holders), so when I really get to work, I won't miss any shots... problem is I got out there and forgot to write down which holders contained which scenes. Won't be happening again.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Light Leak.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	176211Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LIght Leak BW.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	176212

Here are the photos, as they were shot in camera. I'm trying to figure out how the beginning of the burn (the sharp edge of the leak) could have started where it did, as there are no cracks on my dark slides.

If both shots were done at the same time, one with color film & the other with b/w film (therefore two different holders), and the anomaly is nearly identical in both, it suggests the problem is not with the holders. If the anomaly was not visible on the groundglass, then the problem lies elsewhere. IIRC many years ago when I shot color film and experienced minor light leaks, the color of the leak was yellow on the tranny - not white - but I suppose a massive leak might be white.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bodine View Post
    If both shots were done at the same time, one with color film & the other with b/w film (therefore two different holders), and the anomaly is nearly identical in both, it suggests the problem is not with the holders. If the anomaly was not visible on the groundglass, then the problem lies elsewhere. IIRC many years ago when I shot color film and experienced minor light leaks, the color of the leak was yellow on the tranny - not white - but I suppose a massive leak might be white.
    Hey Jerry,
    Yeah now that you mention it, nearly identical light leaks seem like they might be coming from something else other than the film holders, but out of about 10 sheets of film exposed, only 2 have showed leaks, and this is a brand new camera. Both shots were done at different times, between a reload or two, and the numbers of the numbered film holders were not written down to correspond with each scene, so as of now I don't know which film was in which holder. I won't be able to tell if its a film holder until I shoot through all 5 again, keeping notes. Since all 5 film holders are loaded with unshot film, as of now, one option is to unload the film holders in order, check them in camera in the dark with a flashlight, then reload each sheet of film into the exact holder it was in (if I don't find any light leaks with a flashlight). This will hopefully prevent exposing 2 sheets with light leaks instead of one.
    Last edited by ColonelKurtz; 20-Mar-2018 at 16:47.

Update: Just checked every film holder in darkness, with a flashlight. I don't see any leaks, anywhere. I put both lenses on the camera body (closed) and checked to see if light was somehow getting through the aperture blades onto the film plane. Didn't see anything amiss there, either. I'm stumped. Will have to make the mistake again, but not the mistake of not keeping a detailed log. Will update this as soon as I know what the problem is. Thanks Again, everyone.

I'm still betting on your pulling the back away from the camera body when pulling the darkslide. Making that same mistake twice is pretty easy and would look the same.

I'd number my holders if I were you, though, and keep track of which one was used when.

I know some don't pull their darkslides out all the way when making a shot, but I always do (covering the opening of the light trap asap with cap or darkcloth or whatever). Having 90% of a darkslide flapping in the wind when I'm trying to make a shot is not my idea of fun.

Best,

Doremus

Doremus, I'm really hoping you're right, that it was "user error" and not a leaking film holder. I went back and re-scanned the 2 negatives (attached here, in position as if you were looking at the scene on the back of the ground glass) and saw that the light leak is not on either of the film's rebates, so this helps to support your theory. Until I find out, every shot gives me anxiety Great work at your site, by the way...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img010.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	176254 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img009.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	176255
    Last edited by ColonelKurtz; 21-Mar-2018 at 18:46.

Update on this: I haven't had any more light leaks on film from any of my film holders, since I started pinching them to the back of the camera body whenever inserting or removing the dark slide. Thanks again, everyone...