Thread: Mocrotek 2500 problem

Mocrotek 2500 problem

My microtek 2500 has developed the annoying habit of dumping the lowest values to 100% black when scanning negatives. (mostly 4x5, hence the use of this board). It has been doing it with vuescan and microtek software. I have tried every adjustment I can think of and can't seem to fix it. I'm sure I am just doing something stupid, but I can't figure it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Peter

Mocrotek 2500 problem

I would e-mail Ed Hamrick (support@hamrick.com).

Mocrotek 2500 problem

Only thing that I can think of is that there is some auto adjustment being made. Make sure that there is no auto exposure setting buried that might still be on.

Also - I try to make sure that a little edge of the negative (the film base only) is in the scan for a reference point to a true 100% black. Don't know if that helps you tho.

Mocrotek 2500 problem

Thanks. I have been looking everywhere for some sort of faulty setting, but can't find any. I am having problems with both microtek and vuescan software. I am also having the problem with the raw files from vuescan. I also leave some of the negative edge for the 100% black.
    Makes me wonder if it could be a hardware problem.

Thanks again for the suggestions and I will look again!

Peter

Mocrotek 2500 problem

It appears it may have been a problem with the buffer setting in the crop menu in Vuescan. Can anyone suggest good values for this (or does it vary for each negative.) I have never payed attention to this box (although I somehow changed the value), and don't really understand the explanation in the directions.
    I'm not 100% sure this is the problem, but I think it is.

Thanks again,

Peter

Mocrotek 2500 problem

My buffer setting is set to the default of 15%.

Mocrotek 2500 problem

Glad you are getting closer. Also, I don't know why, but my experience is that it is better NOT to include any space outside the actual image when scanning.

Mocrotek 2500 problem

Also, toss the .ini file. It acts like a preference file and deleting it makes the application "reset." On the Mac, anyway, this is a common solution to many application or even Finder and System woes.

Mocrotek 2500 problem

Hmm...My buffer value was also 15% Changing it seemed to help. I only had time to try 1 scan, but lowering it helped. Can someone tell me what the default boarder value is? Perhaps that is the problem. I know they are related.

Oh well. I'm stuck at work, away from the scanner for the weekend. Will try again Monday.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.