Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bad experience with Adorama in NY

Bad experience with Adorama in NY

Just a head's up if you're buying from Adorama...I bought a new lens from them recently, and they included an extended warranty with it. Problem is, the warranty was $49.95 extra!

When I tried returning the unordered warranty, they refused to take it back.

I was quite surprised Adorama would pull such a cheap stunt, especially since I'm a long-time customer. Alas, as my assistant says, "Times, they are a-changing".

Caveat Emptor.

Did you bother to check with Jeff at Badger graphics? He is often times cheaper than B&H and Adorama and his service is impecable. I dont deal with the NY stores anymore unless Jeff does not have what I need.

I know it does not help you now, but maybe in the future you will remember Badger.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Does the warranty cover repairs if the lens gets dropped out a window?
    If so, might as well get your money's worth :-)

paulr has an esxcellent point. Let's take it one step beyond: Does the extended warranty cover the lens getting thrown out one window and crashng through another? Say, a window at Adorama. Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating violence..........well, maybe I am.

I tried doing business with them as a student over 25 years ago and it was a bad experience. I' haven't considered them since.

I will take a look at Badger Graphics, now that it's been mentioned again.
    "I meant what I said, not what you heard"--Jflavell

I agree that Badger should be high on your list in the future.

Re: the present transaction with Adorama, did you charge the purchase to a credit card? You can dispute the amount of the warranty if you haven't already paid the invoice; credit card companies nearly always side with the customer.

Regards,
    Danny www.dannyburk.com
    Visit www.dannyburk.com for fine photography galleries, drum scanning, instructional workshops and Photoshop tutorial, tips and more

In general, I have had positive dealings with Adorama, far better than my experiences with B&H, but of course I would prefer to buy from smaller or specialty stores like Badger or J&C. In any case, the extended warranties are usually add-ons which you have to verbally agree to accept, so if they charged you for something you didn't specify you should contest it through your credit card.

Was it a large format lens or did you join just to bitch about Adorama....

Several points:

1. I agree that if you're buying a large format lens new, Jeff at Badger is the man.

2. Assuming your story is true, contest the credit card.

3. I agree with David. I'm having a little trouble giving any credibility to a complaining post from a first time poster whose email address is so completely improbable and who listed his name as 'Joe Smith'. Maybe you're real, maybe you're not. it's this sort of stuff that makes me wish the IP address the post was submitted from was included with each post.

Michael E. Gordon

Did you purchase online or call in? I've spent thousands of dollars with each, but I've found both B&H and Adorama to be the kind of companies that I probably wouldn't do business with if the telephone was the only way. If you buy online, you get to see exactly what you're paying for; no questions. The few times that I've spoken on the phone with them have left me with that icky I-just-did-business-with-a-used-car-salesman feeling.

I bought a new lens from Adorama (mail order) back in March to find the retaining ring was missing. I returned to the store with the lens and their reply was "How do you know it was supposed to come with it?" - they finally found one in one of their junk boxes and reluctantly gave it to me. I, like Jorge will not do business with them or B&H if I have an option. My experiences with Badger have been nothing less than perfect.