Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Scanning Option

Geos

New Scanning Option

The price of pro-quality LF scanners are starting to come down nicely with Creo's introduction of their IQSmart1 flatbed. Although still expensive at $8,500 it promises excellent film scans (3200DPI) over its entire 12x18" bed.

A previous test of the IQSmart3 scanner yielded excellent 4x5 scans at only 2000DPI. These scans ran away from the Microtek 1800f when enlarged beyond 3x.

For those who have never seen one in person it is a heavy duty machine. For example, a normal flatbed scanner uses a rubber band to drive the CCD-array. The Creo uses a serpentine-belt like one would see on a Harley-Davidson motorcycle.

New Scanning Option

Excellent news. The Creo scanners produce very, very good scans. Yeah, $8,500 is still a huge chunk of change, but if you need much drum scanning done, you might be able to amortize the cost of it within a couple of years.

Doug Dolde

New Scanning Option

Good news indeed. I was amazed at the 4x5 test scan Creo did for me on the iQsmart2. It compared very well to a Tango drum scan. This could be a no brainer for 8x10.

New Scanning Option

How does the Creo scanner compare with Imacon 646 and 848? Thanks.
    Leigh Perry
    www.leighperry.com

New Scanning Option

To clarify my question:

> How does the Creo scanner compare with Imacon 646 and 848?

I understand the different technologies. I would like to hear subjective / objective comparisons of the respective scanned image quality.

Thank you.
    Leigh Perry
    www.leighperry.com

New Scanning Option

$8,500 is still a huge chunk of change, but if you need much drum scanning done, you might be able to amortize the cost of it within a couple of years.

I only paid $5000 for my used drum scanner. That included everything needed to do drum scanning, even the computer to run the scanner, scanner software, everything down to the last cable. My estimate is that the scanner paid for itself in less than a year - about 80 scans (4x5 negatives).

Creo's flatbeds are fine scanners, don't get me wrong. But if quality-of-scan is the name of the game, you can clearly get a higher quality scan, for less money, with a used drum scanner.

Bruce Watson

Doug Dolde

New Scanning Option

Leigh,

Likely no one has tested the iQsmart1 as it just became available. But you can get Creo to do a test scan free for you.

New Scanning Option

One thing to consider when pricing this type of equipment is the cost of a service contract. I use a Creo Sprectrum proofsetter at work and like the company. I've never used one of their scanners.

Ron Mc

New Scanning Option

Having used a drum scanner first and now an Eversmart (Creo), I can say that these flatbed scanners have nothing to want from drum scanners. And the process is so much easier! A custom calibration with a Velvia color target does as much as the PMT drum scan technology. However, I am not certain that the IQSmart is in the same league as the Eversmart line. The Jazz was a little in retreat, with a D-Max of 3,7 versus 4.1 (plenty) for the bottom line Eversmart and more for the more expensive models. There are certainly trade ins when you purchase a scanner that costs now a fifth's of the top of the line model. If you have an opportunity to have a test scan made, bring along a slide with much contrast and deep shadows, as well as fine details and sharpness. Ask for a scan without any shapening. Check then your scan and see if there is continuous tone in the highlights and in the shadows right into black. Check also for glare, a kind of milky appearance of the blacks that I had noticed with the early Imacons. In this regard, make sure that the slide is properly masked in the whole width of the scanner bed. Check for optical sharpness in the grain of the film. Have a Tango scan made of the same slide and put them side by side. It's good to know that there are affordable high-end scanners coming up, as this was always the weak link. Good luck!

Geos

New Scanning Option

I just had an email conversation and have gotten some discouraging information about the IQSmart1 scanner that isn't discussed in their brochure. It delivers 3200DPI on 35mm scans but the optical sampling rate drops to 2000DPI for 4x5 and 1200DPI for 8x10. This scanner is way over priced even if its resolving power is close to its sampling rate.