Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Slaying the deamons of format choice

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Slaying the deamons of format choice

OK, so back to the basic problem.

You have an 8x10 with an 8x20 back, right? Could you buy, or have made, an 11x14 back for it?

You have an 11x14 camera. I know there are 8x10 reducing backs. How about an 8x20 back for it?
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Brian,
    Not really a problem. After the past few days and all of the advice on this post the problem has been solved. Yes the 8x20 is fitted with an 8x20 back. While I can easily remove the 8x20 and slide the 8x10 on I prefer to use the 11x14. There is no real way to fit an 11x14 back on the 8x20. So I will continue on and use both the 8x20 and the 11x14. If I need to cart the 11x14 I use a Roleeze cart that will cary both the 11x14 and the 8x20.

Bruce - Which specific model cart do you use?

Oren,
    I use the SPORS CADDY R21-SPC. During my last trip out West I stopped in Bryce Canyon. The weather was great yet there was still about three feet of snow to hike in. Out came the Roleeze for a nasty butt kicking 1/2 mile up hill hike in the snow. Wihout the cart there is no way I would have taken any camera up there as the conditions were too slipery for a backpack. The Roleeze has been the difference between a shot or going home minus one.

-Bruce

Bruce - Thanks... My 7x17 and 11x14 kits are more than I can backpack, so it's helpful to hear about different options that might enable me to work beyond a few steps' radius from the car. I did pick up a little folding utility cart, but it doesn't have those fat wheels, and I don't think it's going to be very robust for longer distances outdoors.

IMHO---Use what you have, and use it to the best of your ability. Lusting after yet another format (or lens) is like lusting after your nieghbor's wife---no matter how attractive the package, any improvement over what you've already got at home is a crap shoot at best and the only sure thing is that it will cost you---a lot.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White