Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: how to rotate ilex #5

Re: how to rotate ilex #5

The lens is held to the board by screwing the shutter to a flange that is held to the lens board by screws or rivets... To remove shutter from board, you would rotate the shutter counterclockwise to unscrew it... Might be a little stuck now, but it will unscrew somehow...

If you want to rotate the orientation of the controls on the shutter, do not try to unscrew the flange from the lens board (because it was quite a challenge for someone to mount a large Ilex #5 on a small Technika board, and the screws/rivets cannot interfere with the board and F/S mounting fit), but once the shutter rotates, you can unscrew it and place paper/plastic/sheet film spacer rings, or get an o-ring, so when you tighten down the shutter, it will stop turning somewhere else during rotation, and add/subtract spacers until it is where you want it...

Good Luck!!!

Steve K

Oi, I'm so disorganized. I have the #5 board (for Sinar) right on the bench, under my 2017 tax forms. Rotating the flange 90º should do the trick. Fear not. My flange has a shallow expressed ring/ridge (~1.1mm) on the front that allows the shutter to screw on without interfering with the aperture setting ring.

Do it. Be happy.
    Last edited by Jac@stafford.net; 20-Jan-2018 at 15:59.

Jac's idea may work for you. Steve (LabRat) has a novel idea that would work for you. Both would be easier than redrilling the lens board.

That's one of the great things about this forum. Everyone has their own ideas!

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

There are 3 opportunities when rotating the flange: 90, 180, and 270. One of them should work. If not, I’d do like I did — use the flange in its alternate configuration as a lens retaining ring.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    There are 3 opportunities when rotating the flange: 90, 180, and 270. One of them should work. If not, I’d do like I did — use the flange in its alternate configuration as a lens retaining ring.
    Yea, but hole spacing on many flanges are not precision drilled, so don't line up perfectly in other orientations...

But like I said, this can be difficult mounting a #5 to a Linhof board, so don't mess with it, but work around it...

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    Yea, but hole spacing on many flanges are not precision drilled, so don't line up perfectly in other orientations...

But like I said, this can be difficult mounting a #5 to a Linhof board, so don't mess with it, but work around it...

Steve K
    Ari had the same lens and shutter before he bought his Cooke. He said that he had a machine shop mount his flange to the small Technika board. It's not an easy mount, like you say. Mine is mounted to a much larger Wehman board.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    Ari had the same lens and shutter before he bought his Cooke. He said that he had a machine shop mount his flange to the small Technika board. It's not an easy mount, like you say. Mine is mounted to a much larger Wehman board.
    Not easy to mount larger, oversized lenses/shutters to a Linhof Tek board!!!! The boards are thin so hard to drill/tap into them, and the screws tend to always interfere with the light trap and mounting to the F/S... Then there's the limited space on the front for control operation on the F/S, but possible at MAYBE one orientation...

I finally managed to mount a 135mm WF Ektar on the front of my old style Tek III, but a tight fit and barely enough room to operate the side mounted levers, etc, but I did it... (But some Copal/Prontors barely or didn't make the cut, so a gamble you take...)

Steve K

Done! I didn't touch the four screws as the flange is so well mounted that I wan't mess it: just paper tape, four small stripes (1cm by 0,5 sort of) each 90°, with the border just touching the flange border. I started with double thickness but it was too much, so just a single tape thickness and the lens is now rotated by 45°, exactly, and the cable release has a clear access to the shutter. Thanks to you all!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fatif6.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	173940
    before
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rotate.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	173942
    after